I Decided Not To Breastfeed, Now I Am Swollen....What Can I Do?

I had my baby Tuesday. Today, my breasts have become very full, hard, and swollen....it is quite painful. I am a first time mother, so I am not sure what to do for it....Advice Please!

lexinicole

Asked by lexinicole at 1:21 PM on Oct. 5, 2008 in General Parenting

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • Put cabbage leaves in your bra. Change them frequently. Avoid stimulating your breast as this is what leads to milk production. I'm serious about the cabbage leaves. I learned it in nursing school when one of the mothers on the OB unit lost her child.

peachqpti

Answer by peachqpti at 3:15 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Feed your child and then will go down.

Anonymous

• If you have decided to no longer breastfeed then try and pump some out. Don't pump it all out. Just pump enough to relieve the discomfort that you are in. Take warm showers and pump as needed to relieve the pain. Eventually it will dry up.
    Anonymous

• Breastfeeding is the best thing for your baby but, if you're sure you don't want to breastfeed then take tylenol or advil for the pain and a hot shower. you can also try taking benedryl or another antihistimine and that will help dry you up.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 3:49 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Pump! Why did you decide not to BF? You still can BF, pump first so you are not so engorged - give it a try! Feed your baby what you pump out in a bottle. I didn't BF my oldest and always regretted it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:30 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• K, I will ask for forgivness in advance....First, I would.....TAKE A PICTURE! They will never be so pretty again until you have another child, or have cosmetic alterations if you chose.....sorry, had to say it!
    But really, I didnt breastfeed either, and it is very uncomfortable. First take a hot shower to alleviate the pressure. IMMEDIATLEY when you get out, at least wear a very tight bra, they will engorge to the room they are given. Or even wrap yourself in ace bandages. I did this, it held them still, and didnt leave much room to fill up. Its uncomfortable, but really, goes away quick enough
    chicklet

Answer by chicklet at 10:28 AM on Oct. 8, 2008