What would you have done?

My dd and I were at the gas station during our girl day, when I see a little boy in the road. He couldn't have been older than 5 since he was in my dd class at vbs. He's parents were no where to be seen and it was a busy street so I took my dd and we went over to him. I asked him where his mom was and he told she was sleeping on the couch. I asked him if I could take him home and he didn't remember how to get there. So since we were only a few blocks from the police station that's where I took him. Turns out the boy was more than 10 blocks away from his house! Now the family of the boy is furious with me since the police came, called children and you, and are under investigation. My question is are the boys family right and I should have left it all alone, minded my own business? Or did I do the right thing by making sure he was safe? What would you have done?

candle5

Asked by candle5 at 12:58 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• YOU TOTALLY did the right thing! Its not your fault they are sorry parents! They are mad at you b/c they got caught....you should not feel sorry about that.

How did they know it was you that brought the boy in? I thought they were suppose to keep that sort of stuff quiet....or they SHOULD!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:59 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• No, I think you were 110% correct in what you did. I'd never ever ever leave a 5 year old boy to wander the streets alone, even if I DIDN'T know him, and you did!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• you definatly did the right thing and i hope they did call CPS on the family.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I applaud you!
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 1:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• You were completely correct to do what you did! How did that little boy get that far from home?! He's only 5! They're lucky he's still alive! Good for you for taking the correct actions!

This is a good reason to make sure our kids always know their home phone number and address too.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 1:02 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• You absolutely did the right thing! Who knows what could have happened to him if you hadn't taken him to the police? And now the paper trail has started so if something else ever happens to this boy, the parents can't say it was a fluke.
    musicalbabe85

Answer by musicalbabe85 at 1:02 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Shows you what kind of home life the kid has if his mom is more concerned about being in trouble, than she is for his safety... I would have done the same thing.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:03 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• you did the right thing for sure! anything could have happened to him. people just dont like it when you call them out on their awful parenting.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:04 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• You did the right thing!! I would have done the same.
    NewMommy0414

Answer by NewMommy0414 at 1:04 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I would have done the same thing. If they were any kind of parents, they awouldnt be mad at you, they would be crying and thanking you so much. What if a pedophile had been the person to have found him. What if he was hit by a car. Those people obviously have thier priorities mixed up. Mistakes happen...parents fall asleep and kids sometimes do the goofiest things like getting out of the house.IT HAPPENS...if it happened to me and the police brought my child back..I would be thanking the heavens and everyone who was involved in bringing them back home safely. I wouldnt care if I was under investigation, my home would be an open door to them, because I don't do anything wrong.
    Don't feel bad. You did the RIGHT thing.Thank GOD you are the one to have found him and was decent enough to help that poor boy.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:05 PM on Aug. 6, 2010