Bowl movement problems for 5 week old? adult content

Anna Grace is just 5 weeks old and she's had problems with her bowel movements since week 2.
I tried breastfeeding at first but couldn't find any support to help me, not even the nurses at the hospital knew what they were doing, so after a week I gave up. Bad me.
So we started her on Emfamil Lipil.. started noticing she was getting very very fussy and bowel movements stopped. This happened with my 21 month old when she was born too. We switched from gentleease,ar, and now prosobee. AG has acid reflux just like her sister.. so we started her on Axid 15mg 1cc twice day.
But she's still forcing herself to go number 2. When she does, which is only once a day if we're lucky, it's hard as a rock and not that much.
Has anyone had this problem and have any success with anything ??
Forgot to mention, she has cereal in her bottles for her reflux too, could that be doing it?

ramzmomma

Asked by ramzmomma at 1:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd bet on the cereal doing it.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:02 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• What I did was give extra water in her bottle. I know... docs will say that will decrease their weight. I just gave about an ounce. Others will tell you to put about 1/2 a teaspoon of corn syrup in their bottle. I didn't like that idea. But, water worked for me.
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 1:03 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Is the cereal absolutely neccesary?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:05 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Changing the formula too often can do that too. Take her to the doctors and tell them what you are experiencing. I was told to never change formula unless directed by my doctor. Too much on such a new little digestive system can hurt her.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 1:08 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• FYI you can get lots of support online here at cafemom for bfing and at your local LLL www.llli.org It's certainly not too late to get baby back on the breast! Especially if you wanted too and wish you had the right information and support. Breastmilk has a natural laxative effect.

When you don't have a village ready made, you make your own support village!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:16 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• my ds is like that. you can try alittle water in a ear dropper and giving it to her rectally, if it gets really bad. that's what my doc to me. also, doing one thin bottle a day helps. you can try when you notice her struggling to loosten her diaper and hold her cheeks apart while keepiing her knees bent-it takes to hands and a bit of practice-sorry that may be tmi but it worked well for me. good luck!
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 1:20 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• mylicon drops with every feeding. cereal is binding especially rice. stay away from it if it is not necessary and reccommended by your pediatrician. my doctor practically yelled at me when i mentioned corn syrup. mylicon is the safest and easiest way. i had to give my daughter suppositories on a few occasions. clear every decision with your doctor at that age, you may do more harm than good with experimenting with various ideas people have.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 1:20 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Yes the cereal is nessasary, ped recommended it because she was throwing up all of her bottles from the reflux.
    She is on those gas drops - they seem to make it worse for a little bit then get's better, but doesnt make her poo.
    Every decision I make is always first gone thru the doctor.. he's the one having me switch so many times with formula.
    ramzmomma

Comment by ramzmomma (original poster) at 1:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Cereal in formula is an old remedy for reflux, he may not be up to date yet. And if she is on meds, she shouldn't need it. It is causing the constipation. Maybe try to relactate and start the process over and see if she gets better.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:44 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Have you ever looked into relactation? We can give you the support and help you need. This way baby can have a possibility of a pain free life for now.  If we can help or support in any way please let us know and we will do everything that we can to get baby back to breast.  Good Luck!

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 7:43 PM on Aug. 6, 2010