Should people who don't believe in your God(s) have to obey the laws and regualtions he set down?

Why or Why not?

And if not, then why do people bring religion in to the mix when talking politics or legal issues?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:13 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Religious Debate

• clapping

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:15 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Yes, it's part of being an active part of society. Religion is a crappy excuse not to obey the laws that are put in place.
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 1:15 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I think everyone should just do the best they can to their ability. If everyone did the next right thing, well this world would be a better place~ & then I woke up~
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 1:16 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• They still have no concept of the separation of church and state- nor are they fully cognizant of the fact that it PROTECTS their religious freedom.

I can only think of *one* religion in which the followers are programmed to disregard all others beliefs, and militantly seek their conversion to that religion... It is also the one which yells the loudest about religious legislation, and the infringement of their rights caused by immorality at all levels of government and society. And actually believe that the actions of others who have no direct impact (or indirect for that matter), in some way affect them... therefore, they throw a tantrum in belief that if they yell the loudest, they will be heard.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:17 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I think that in general , most people do already without even realizing it. Its basically about being a good person, and for the most part, I think the majority are.
    I personally don't expect anyone else to believe exactly what I believe, but if a question is asked and I happen to know the answer, I'll talk about it.
    Some things that people that don't believe in God do, I don't understand but thats what they believe and I am no one to question that. Who is to say what I believe is the absolute truth...and who is to say what someone else believes is the absolute truth. In the end, we are all just humans following our own path in this life..and taking our best guess at what is right and wrong, and most hope that its the right one.

I'm probably way off topic,lol. I tend to stray when it comes to this topic,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:19 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• If memory serves,only the stealing commandment is also a law,so that one I follow. The rest I don't feel I have to because the bible tells me so,I do them because I have morals.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:19 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• bumped ya!

Answer by older at 1:24 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I think technically the "thou shalt not kill" is a law too!

But laws which are in place like don't kill, rape, steal... These are in place for LEGAL reasons, they are in place because it's what is best for the greater good of the people of the land, not because of any underlying religious belief or basis.

However, basing laws on religious beliefs without having a cause beyond religious beliefs is different... Who gets to choose which beliefs are okay to base laws on? Who should get to pick which religious beliefs are worth of enforcing on everyone? And why should someone be forced to follow laws which are in place simply to oppress?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 1:25 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• YOUR God, YOUR rules to follow. Just like you have no say in what my dinner routine is, your god has no say in my life.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:25 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Now when we move to legal laws set down by our government, those I follow.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:27 PM on Aug. 6, 2010