Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Is there any moms here that are lawyers that specialize in RAPE cases?

Hi I am posting annon cuz I am the victim & looking for help. The person I am pressing charges on is BIL. I cant afford a lawyer but I need to see him put away. I already put in a report with the police & filed a protection order. incident happened 2 years ago. Please help! Any additionally info may be helpful too! Thank you!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (3)
  • You're looking for a prosecutor. You need to contact the District Attorney's office for your county to see who has been assigned to the case; THAT is who would handle it in court. A private lawyer would only handle a civil suit should you choose to sue him.

    Answer by gdiamante at 1:27 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

  • hugging


    Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 1:34 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

  • You should not need an attorney for this. The DA's office should handle if you are filing charges. That's a criminal case, not a civil one.

    That said, there needs to be sufficient evidence in order to prosecute. You said it's been two years ago. Did you file a report with the police then? Go to the hospital for a rape kit? Are there any witnesses? You may be in for a difficult journey if you don't have any first hand evidence.

    I was beaten and raped by a coworker while living overseas. I have PTSD as a result of all that. I was not able to prosecute due to the nature of things in the country I was in. He did get fired but I would've been hard pressed to have a legitimate case here. I was able to get a PPO and such. But that was about the extent of it. Even though he had a history (as we found out) and there were other women willing to testify on my behalf.

    Answer by BuddyRoo at 1:57 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.