How often do you give your small dog a bath? And do you use any special shampoo or just store bought?

Moms_Angels1960

Asked by Moms_Angels1960 at 1:17 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Pets

• I used to work with a groomer. She says you don't really want to do it more than once every 2 weeks... i use normal dog shampoo but have seen lots of dogs with different skin issues that have to use special shampoos once a week (but only if prescribed by a Vet). Dogs have a different PH balance then we do and their skin can dry out a lot faster. Don't ever use shampoo or conditioner meant for humans on a dog ether. Also they sell wipes, powders, and sprays you can use in between to keep your dog fresh.
    Jend555

Answer by Jend555 at 1:38 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Once a week and I use Johnson's baby shampoo.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:20 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Once a week for my Yorkie & 2 Weinie Dogs. We use just a regular flea & tick shampoo on them.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:22 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• It really depends on the dog. A dog who has no other skin issues can be safely bathed with a mild shampoo weekly in most cases. I personally bathe my dog weekly. In the summer, he's in and out of the pool daily but I still give him a bath each weekend. I use Johnson and Johnson on his face. I use my shampoo and conditioner on his body.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 2:53 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• a bath once a month so that his skin won't get dry. buy dog shampoo with flea stuff in it and conditioner. if not, use baby shampoo it's gentle on the dog skin. that's what i use on my dog.
    ymadaris2

Answer by ymadaris2 at 4:20 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Our dog gets a bath 2-4 times a month. We use shampoo from the doggy store with oatmeal in it, it's good for itching. No critters on her, allergies. Says it's a natural Oatmeal shampoo for dry skin and itching, w/ vitaminE.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 5:11 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I have a Boston Terrier and we bathe her about once a month, unless she goes out and rolls in the dirt or something. We use store bought flea shampoo. I can't remember the name of it, but it works. We have a Lab Mix but we hardly ever wash her because she stays outside a majority of the time.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 1:19 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I wash my pom about 2x/month with dog shampoo. (some times more often if she rolls in my neighbor's chicken poo...LOL) She has a thick under coat and if I don't keep her clean & brush her daily, she will develope skin problems.
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 2:24 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I have a Pembroke Welsh Corgi and I try and bath her every two weeks. She usually goes in to Petsmart for grooming once a month. I use shampoo from there specifically for my dog. If your dog is long haired, short haired, it really depends
    Rae_LeComte07

Answer by Rae_LeComte07 at 2:54 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• We liked giving our dog a bath when it was warmer. And she was a medium sized dog. Her hair needed a special shampoo to keep her coat shinny like it is supposed to be. However, it's a little harder to do in the winter with a dog that's pretty active and won't hold still for long periods of time.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 1:32 PM on Aug. 6, 2010