How can I get my 3 and a half your old son to poop on the potty?

Ok so my son is potty trained, but only with pee. He keeps pooping in his pants and I have NO idea how to make him go in the toilet! Ive tried showing him and telling him its gross. PLease help me

Kable0120

Asked by Kable0120 at 1:33 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Potty Party. Sounds absurd, I know, oh, I know. But it works! I told my daughter (she's 2 and a half) that we would have a Potty Party if she pooped on the potty. Cupcakes, ice cream, balloons, a pack of new "big girl underwear". Took about a month, because the first week or two she still resisted, but after the first Potty Party she was really excited, had a couple accidents (cried her eyes out) but after the 2nd Potty Party a week or so after the first, she goes on the potty all the time now. Pee and poop.
    Live4HerSmile

Answer by Live4HerSmile at 1:40 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My son was the same way. I finally yelled at him to go "poop in the potty" when I saw him pooping in his pants. I scared him and he ran to the potty. Once he realized it was OK, he did it from then on. I'm not recommending yelling, but it worked for me.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I'm having the same problem with my son. He's doing so well running to the bathroom to use the potty to pee. But poop is another story. He usually hides. He always tells me he went after the fact. No complaints about that...I'd rather he at least tell me so I know where to clean LOL. I always remind him to poop in the potty, I show him where the poop goes when I scoop it and throw it in the toilet, he is very attentive towards his potty training dvd's and SO and I have an open door policy. Maybe he just isnt ready to poop yet and that time will come, but he doesnt seem to be interested. He probably wouldnt understand a "potty party" and I don't want to yell at him for accidents. I will be keeping an eye on this post! I gave you a bump OP!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• same problem here. well my son isn't quite 3 yet and still pees his undies a lot but he never will poop on the potty. gl!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 4:28 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• my son has been "pee" potty trained since he was 2..he just turned 4 and is just now "poop" trained. it takes A LOT of work with boys to go poop. My son has been TERRIBLE!!!!!!!! he got constipated once and then was scared to go poop on the potty. I had to take him to the doc, give him meds (Miralax) to soften the stool and then he got the hang of it. he just regressed for the first time b/c my grandma decided to put pull ups on him while he visited with her for a week. He just finally went today after a suppository, enema, exlax and his miralax. i have scolded him, told him its nasty, been sweet to him, give him treats and it doesnt matter. It's just up to them. I understand how hard it is. I have pulled my hair out, screamed and cried on some days. I should follow my own advice lol but you really need to just try and have patience. He will get the hang of it...eventually. GOOD LUCK!
    travisnowensmom

Answer by travisnowensmom at 2:38 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Idk wat u can do. Its a boy thing. Mine had issues rite up until kindergarden. He would hold it until it would b about as big as him! Lol. I started going in w him & holding his hands n tell him 2 push n itl b better if he squeezes my hands really hard, that seemed 2 help. All else fails, maybe start taking away lil things he likes 2 eventually big things til he starts goin poop all the time on the potty. My friends son was the same way. Boys!
    mama2evan

Answer by mama2evan at 8:59 AM on Aug. 9, 2010