If you have a debit ONLY card, how long do you give a positive balance before you figure you just miscalculated?

I checked my bank account today and it says I have $25 in savings and $47 in my account. By my records I should only have maybe about $2.

That is a BIG difference. I haven't spent anything since the 1st of the month either though.

How long should I give it until I figure I just calculated wrong? Maybe until my next check on Friday?

*Note: This is a debit only card. It is not tied to a bank account so it debits off the card immediately supposedly, BUT you can swipe it as a credit transaction at someplaces.*

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 1:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• Companies have up to 30 days to actually process a "credit" transaction. So if you used it as a "credit card" at a store, gas station, etc. they could take that $$ at ANY TIME within 30 days. Same thing with bank-issued debit cards.
    Live4HerSmile

Answer by Live4HerSmile at 1:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I'd go with your own calculation. Some electronic withdrawls are not posted right away. I've had ones take a week to show up.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Is it one of the pre-paid debit paycheck cards? That's the only thing I can think of without a bank account. My husband has one. We just either look at the transactions online or wait.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Yes Kiwi, it is one of those. :)
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 1:44 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Do you have an online balance check thing? We had to google our card and bank that was on it and that's how we check. I'd do that, that way you can see if you miscounted something or if it was swiped as credit and is taking it's time coming off.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Thanks Live, I will keep that in mind.

Yes Kiwi, I check mine on netspend.com. That's where I saw this just now and I think maybe something just hasn't come through yet.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 1:46 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• If you spent the money, consider it gone...even if it hasn't posted yet. If you keep current with your checkbook register, and you have double checked your balance, I would go with what you have recorded.

Considering August 1st was a Sunday, it could take until next Monday to post to your account. And if for some reason you still have more than you thought, then consider it a "bonus!" LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2010