Do you think he's ready??

My son turns 3 in Nov. He is not potty trained yet, I know he's fully old enough but I don't know if he's ready yet, he still wakes from naps and morning very wet- he can be coaxed in to going ON the potty but I don't think he knows before he pee's that he should be in the potty - he's seen us go and we've brought him with mom and dad to show him how. He still has trouble pulling down his own pants and he has zero interest in it using the potty.. but he's almost 3... We are thinking of trying underpants training next week but thought I'd ask what other mommies thought - We've also tried bringing him every hour, or after he drinks or asking all the time if he has to go and that didn't work either, I made a huge deal of the potty and it scared him at first, we have tried treats and rewards all to the point where he'd rather not have a treat if he has to use the potty to get it.

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 1:43 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• Just an idea: If he's turned off by the treats, maybe try letting him decide he wants to do it. Just put him in the underwear or training pants and see how he handles it; let him tell you he's wet and needs to be changed rather than the other way around. If being wet bothers him he may decide for himself that it's better to do it on the potty. I think he might feel more in control that way. I had a terrible time with my oldest child, and I think it's because she decided she was going to be in control. Looking back, I think if I had backed off and let it be her idea she would have trained more easily and more quickly. GL!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:43 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I bribed my youngest with candy. I mean, not full-on sweets but a small piece of candy. I'm sure I'll be shunned for feeding my child candy but really. My oldest got a piece too - whenever my youngest would go and my oldest was very much into helping and making sure my youngest went. She was potty trained in 3 days - and she was about 2 and a half. I didn't buy training pants, I just put 'big girl' panties on her and when she went in them, I took them off and washed them, putting new ones on her.
    My oldest was harder - she didn't potty train until after she was 3. I bought the training pants for her and read her potty books. I didn't bribe with candy - lol!
    Just know that he won't be wearing a diaper forever and let him go at his own pace.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 1:48 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I would wait until he turns 3. Then take the diapers away completely (except at night). Make a big deal out of big boy underwear. Buy his favorite character undies. Let him know that tomorrow he will go on the potty! Yay! Give him m&ms when he goes. Stay positive. The first day take him every 45 minutes or so. There will be accidents the first day. The second day will be much better. By day 3 he will be trained. This is what I did for all 3 of my kids. None of them showed any interest before that. Good luck to you! The trick is, once you start, you can't go back to diapers. So pick a time when you have 3 days to do nothing but concentrate on this. Don't leave the house.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:56 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Actually, in his case, he isn't showing all the readiness signs. You might want to start initiating, but, he might take awhile. My son showed all the signs at 2.5 and was trained in 4 days. But, he woke up dry, showed interest, could pull pants up and down and verbally could tell me.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:57 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I think you can give it a try, and if after a few days or a week any of you are feeling frustrated stop and wait a while to try again. I just started my son in July. He was showing about as many signs as your son. We moved to cloth training pants during the day and diapers at night. The first day we put him in training pants he would wet himself within a few minutes of sitting on the potty, but never on the potty. By about the 5th day he was holding it ALL DAY long and still doing nothing on the potty; he was waiting for his diaper to pee. I was really about ready to stop and wait a few weeks to try again, but on the 7th day he got cracked up while sitting on the potty and accidentally peed. After that he had it figured out, at least with the peeing. 3 weeks later we are still waiting for him to figure out pooping on the potty.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:32 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• give it time wait till he is ready right now you are potty trained not him. .stop for 2 weeks then try or let him know dad and you to stop playing so you can pee it will take time but he might catch on
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 2:55 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• i've never waited for them to be ready to be potty trained. they have been going pea in the potty since one, but thats cuz i made them sit on it while getting the bath water ready. they learned not to be scared and i didn't force. they were all potty trained cuz i told them they couoldn't go to school until they were. but he'll let you know. slowly work into a rutine about no drinks after a certain time and going potty before and after bed. i know someone who told me to wake them up in the middle of the night and that will help. i never tried it.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 4:52 PM on Aug. 6, 2010