we're not a Christian contry

Believe it or not, we're not a Christian country. Yes, in God we trust is on our money and in our constitution, but the definition of a Christian is someone who believes in Christ. Therefore, we are not a Christian contry. We are a God country, and God takes on many forms for many different people. That's why we have freedom of religion. Your take?

gnovinger

Asked by gnovinger at 1:59 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Religious Debate

• We have no national religion. We have, by our own constitution, religious freedom.

Our own constitution also now gives equal rights to all. Unless we stop discriminating against same sex couples, we are in violation of our own constitution.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:01 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• No,we are not a God country,because we don't all believe in God. Its the same as you saying we're not a Christian country.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:01 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Exactly! The numbers clearly point to the fact that Christianity is NOT the majority! Christianity makes up somewhere between 35 and 45% of the population... No where near the 80%+ that they try to claim!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:02 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• And English not our national language. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:03 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• No we are not!

Answer by older at 2:04 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Although it hasn't been legally declared, one can make a good argument that by default English is our national language. The majority of our citizens still primarily speak English. The majority of our citizens are NOT Christian. Therefore, that line of thinking isn't valid.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:09 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I agree we are not a Christian country we far from a christian country.
    andmaef28

Answer by andmaef28 at 2:11 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I believe that we are a christian country because the post office is closed on sundays, the day of worship for christian, christmas is considered a holiday, along with easter and what not. You dont see government buildings closing for other holidays that pertan(sp) other religions. We are progressing though so one day maybe we wont be 100%
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:13 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Sabrena, some of that stuff is so inconvienent. I wish it weren't that way.
    gnovinger

Comment by gnovinger (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I am a Christian. That impacts me, not others.
    I have a friend that is Jewish. That impacts her, not others.
    Others practice different religions. Their choices impact them, not others.

I speak French. I also speak English. One does need English in order to function effectively in this country.
    One does not need my religion or any other in order to function effectively in this country.
    errantmommy

Answer by errantmommy at 2:18 PM on Aug. 6, 2010