Did you have a birth plan with each pregnancy? Do you recommend having one?

Twisted_Halo

Asked by Twisted_Halo at 2:07 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My only birth plan was "drugs, and keep 'em coming". I didn't even hear of "birth plans" until my girl was about a year old. :-)
    If I ever have another, I may look into it. I've heard good things.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:09 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I kinda did with my son.

I DEFINITELY will have one next time. I also will come into it armed with facts and knowledge and knowing what I want and don't want and why. And it would help me stand my ground too. During the pain and even with what I want done with my child directly after birth.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:11 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I didn't. I let my doctor make a lot of the calls.
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 2:11 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I didn't make a formal declaration, but I discussed all my likes/dislikes and expectations with my midwives & hubby - and that was all documented in my charts. I didn't feel I needed to bind my options since we were all on the same page any way. I also had to be induced due to pre-eclampcia for both, so the plan wouldn't have be able to have been followed to a "T". I don't like to give up control, but it things went very smooth. I really counted on my DH to step in an keep things right if needed. It's really up to you, but I didn't feel I needed one b/c of the way my midwives did things.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:14 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I had one with mine, it helped my DH stay calm and if he couldnt be there my mom would know what I wanted. Loved it will do it again.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 2:14 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I was lucky enough that I chose a birthing center for my first birth so most of the intervetions they do in the hospital I didn't have to deal with. I did not have a birth plan nor was I informed on any of the choices that I needed to make.

My second was a homebirth. There was a plan in place but nothing written. I throughly discussed what I wanted with my husband and midwife.

If you're birthing in a hospital I think a birth plan is a good idea but it doesn't gurantee that things will go according to that plan. Make sure your plan is discussed with your Dr. and make sure your SO is on board to help support all your choices. A doula is also a great labor support and will help enforce your birth plan when you are incapable.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 2:14 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I loosely made a plan thinking no one would ask about it and knowing Mother Nature would have a hand in my experience. To my surprise, my rather granola-y OB asked about it so I was able to avoid a tear by way of a small snip which I am happy about. Ya, make one if for no other reason to have your ideas organized.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:15 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Yep..my plan is to get in and get out! lol
    Really..after the 1st one, I just knew what to expect so I didnt bother with a birth plan.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:15 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• i think it's more important to just find out if the provider generally "requires" stuff that you don't feel comfortable with. i did a lot of calling to make sure i was with who i wanted to be with. i made sure i was with someone who wouldn't require me to have an IV to have continuous monitoring, to lay in bed, or anything like that. once that is done, a birth plan is helpful to just be sure it's out there for you and your provider to go over & make sure you understand each other, and to communicate with hospital/birthing ctr staff. :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:33 PM on Aug. 6, 2010