Homemade laundry soap in a HE washer?

I've been looking into making my own laundry soap. Has anyone tried making their own and using it in a front loading HE washer? Do you have a favorite recipe?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 2:17 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Home & Garden

• 1 bar laundry soap (like Fels-Naptha)
    1/2 cup washing soda (not washing powder, not baking soda)
    1/4 cup Borax

Grate bar of soap and melt in 4 cups of water over medium heat, stirring until completely melted. Stir in Borax and washing soda into hot water in 5 gallon bucket. Add melted soap and stir. Fill bucket with hot water and stir. Lid and let gel 24 hours. To use, fill old detergent container half full with detergent, half full with water. Shake to mix prior to using. Use 1/4 cup for front loader washing machine. Use 5/8 cup for top loader.

I just made this about a month ago and I have a front loader and it seems to be working fine. My friend that gave me this recipe has 5 kids and she does about two loads of laundry a day and this lasts her about 4 months. She, nor I, use this to wash cloth diapers, though. We use something else for diapers.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:15 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I've personally never experimented with making soap at home, of any kind. Sounds interesting though =)
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 2:18 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I have thought about it and did a lot of research. The problem is, I cannot find washing soda. Arm & Hammer still produces it but I cannot locate it locally. Washing soda is one of the main ingredients in homemade laundry soap. It is slightly more caustic than baking soda and borax, it has a different PH. You cook it up and you have liquid laundry detergent. It is not that difficult and there are recipes on the net for it! It is really cost effective and works well.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 4:23 PM on Aug. 6, 2010