Share your experience with Craig's List, please

Gene_Godwin

Asked by Gene_Godwin at 2:19 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• Mine hasn't been bad honestly. I've found numerous photographers on there that I've worked with, sold loads of items, and bought some things as well.

Yes, you'll get spam. Yes, you'll get people trying to get your personal info. However if you do not respond they won't get your actual email address to add you to their permanent list. Since CL is free, it's a nuisance I can handle.

Make sure and mark: Local Buyers Only. Cash Only. Serious Inquiries Only. No spammers on your posts. While it doesn't always eliminate each spammer, it lets them know that you know they're out there.

When we meet with someone from the site, we are ALWAYS in a public place. We usually meet up at a local Walgreens and exchange the items/cash there. We absolutely never meet at our house, and I keep everything in a different email that I do not use and it's not used for any of my online accounts, so they can't find any personal info that way.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 2:24 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• i posted an add for babysitting and alls i got were spam responses & people trying to get my credit card number
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:20 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Also, I do not give any of them my number. You'd be amazed with what you can find with just a phone number. Email ONLY!

If you follow common sense and keep yourself on a tight rope you'll be fine. There are creeps everywhere, and unfortunately the internet harbors many of them.

GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 2:25 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I never give my phone number, correspond through email 1st, then once I've talked with the person, we may exchange numbers to arrange a meeting place. Always meet in public in a busy time, bring your DH if you can.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 2:29 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I have stop going under craig list. Its been along time since I have been on it. I would go and look for jobs or something else like car adds. And I would get crazy ass text message from my phone said I've seen u on craig list or something like that in the ordinary and also credit card ads and all shorts of spam messages.
    andmaef28

Answer by andmaef28 at 2:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Never give a phone number. Always go through email. Although I have had bad experiences with craigslist. I was trying to sell a vehicle and I had many hits. Only problem was that they wanted to give me personal checks or that they said the money will be in the mail. Im not stupid so of coarse I turned them down. Just got to be careful. Don't use personal email, phone, address and such/
    Rae_LeComte07

Answer by Rae_LeComte07 at 2:40 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I've bought a ton of stuff there. From both my older kid's bicycles to blocks for them to play.
    I semi met my husband there. We had already met somewhere else.
    I found one of my jobs there, still working there 2+ years later.
    I found our summer babysitter there last year and will be babysitting in the fall for someone else thanks to CL.
    I met a photographer there to take pictures of my newborn for free if I allowed her to put the pictures in her portfolio.
    I get a ton of laughs from the 'best of' section

I may get my next house there, as I am looking. But my agent says to be careful when looking for houses on CL. Regardless, I've done a lot thanks to craigslist and don't have much problem. My advice is like they say, deal locally.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 2:56 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I've purchased from there, yes you get spam, but also like freecycle you get no shows from those you say they want to purchase from you.

Locally i've had more success with yard sales, consignment shops and vender fairs.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:14 PM on Aug. 6, 2010