De-worming cats....

I think the mama cat and her 3 kittens have worms. So I got them the medicine and gave it to them this morning.
What should I expect to happen now?
Are they going to get diarheah and have wormy poop everywhere?lol ew I hope now...really.

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 2:22 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Pets

• BuddyRoo is spot on. Anything over the counter may be ineffective if it treats something other than what your cats have or it can be incorrect dosages. Kittens can also get parasites through the placenta (while the mama was pregnant) or from nursing. These parasites are present in the mom in a dormant larval form and can pass to the babies even if the mom is on a preventative.

Treatments only kill adults and do nothing for prevention. It is important that when you see the vet, get fecal samples checked on all of the cats, get them treated, and start them on preventatives. These can be started after your first visit at 6-8 weeks. Parasites can be passed to kids. Protecting your cats will protect your kids.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 12:15 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• DId you buy those little pills for 20 bucks? I'm not sure about a kitten but those pills (half for 6 month olds) should work. It's fast and you shouldn't see any wormy poop. It kills the worm inside them and they may feel nauseated and sleepy but it should just work overnight. At least it did with my cat Maude.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:25 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• no. but there may be a lot of worms in their poop the next couple days.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:23 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Good luck! If it doesn't get rid of the worms you can call a vet and ask what they recommend.

Answer by Bmat at 2:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My recommendation would be to chuck the OTC stuff and wait until you can have a fecal checked when you take the kittens in for their first round of vaccines at 6-8 weeks.

Kittens get the parasites from mom's feces. If mom is parasite free, then unless there are fleas (which transmit tapes), they shouldn't be at risk anyway. Also, by checking the fecal, if there are eggs present, your veterinarian can deworm with the appropriate product for the type of parasite they find. Different meds are used for different parasites.

Why do you think they have parasites?

BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 2:51 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Ha! I LOVE that name "Maude" for a cat! lol
    I didnt get pills...I got the only thing I could find in the store I went to. It was in a syringe and its a paste that you put into thier food. I gave it to them all this morning. They each had thier own little serving of tuna with some of this paste crap in it. And they are running around like the normal crazy kitties that they are and I'm waiting for something to happen, nothing yet!
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 2:32 PM on Aug. 6, 2010