Have you or someone you know had a bad experience on a trampoline? What was it?

I personally think trampolines are great fun. If I werent a gigantic beach life size walking beach ball right now, I'd consider jumping on one,lol.
BUT..I know they are dangerous. My son has been playing at his friends house on one and has come home twice with his foot bruised.SOmehow it got caught up in the metal part of it or something. I told him to be careful, he doesnt want to spend the rest of hi summer in a cast..he got a big grin on his face and was like.."oo, that would be so cool to go back to school with a cast".UGH.10 year old boys,lol
Anyway, what has been your experience with a trampoline?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 2:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Trampolines are ok, but there is supposed to be only one person jumping at a time. When you add 2 or 3 kids jumping at once, you asking for trouble. I have heard horrible stories where more than one kid was jumping on trampoline, and one kid landed on another kid & broke their arm or leg that way. Got to make sure you got the safety pad on there and also the safety net.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 2:34 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Is there a net around the tramp?
    We rarely go on them because we want to avoid injury and we don't own one because we don't want to get sued.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:31 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• i cant really remember one in particular, but i remember as kid, getting caught in the springs. not sure how it happens, i guess when theres a bunch of kids all jumping, you can accidently get caught in the springs.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:31 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I was jumping with my bro and my friend. They would rocket me in the air. Well I jumped and was going to alnd on my bottom when my bro and friend got to close to wear I was going to land. I bruised my tail bone when I landed on my bottom going down it hurt but it was fine after that day
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 2:34 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• When we were kids, we always had a big trampoline. There were a few major injuries though. One time my cousin completely knocked out his front tooth... Completely- it was like an inch and a half long. After freaking out for a few, my mom decided to shove it back up in it's spot. It's been fine ever since. I'm sure you weren't looking for a horrific story, but I tell that one whenever I can. Sorry about that. Generally they're pretty safe though, as well as good exercise. And a ton of fun for kids.
    CarlyCo

Answer by CarlyCo at 2:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Trampolines are actually horrible because you can knock you spine out of alignment if you land wrong, I did that when I was a kid.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 2:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My son had one forever and he and the neighbor kids played on it. I just think they were smart about it. In 7 years, no one had an accident.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• One of my son's broke his finger last year on one. My ex husband's niece caught her hair in the spring on theirs & they had to cut her hair to get it out. So, yeah, I dont like them. I dont like my kids on them...at all...(my son knows this but he IS 16 & he does tend to do what he wants at times...he knows NOW why I told him not to get on one...and swears he's not doing it again!)
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 2:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• i have twisted my ankle and bruised it very badly before..and i have had friends that fell in the opening between the frame and spring hole and the spring pop out and get caught on their leg and make a nasty scratch..
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 2:52 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• They're too dangerous to be used unsupervised --even supervised, the injuries they cause can be extensive and crippling.

I know an idiot who wondered how far he'd fly if he jumped onto it from his attic bedroom window. The answer was 'a really long way' but he kind of lost track of that since when he hit the bed stretched right to the ground, both of his legs broke and he passed out. It's a pretty funny story the way he tells it, but he's never walked right again.

I've known gymnasts who have destroyed their knees using them supervised. I've known kids who broke other kids arms --and one who broke another kid's leg-- by being on them at the same time. While it's certainly possible to do that without a trampoline, the velocity that bodies fly around on them isn't something the average kid can manage without a bike or skateboard and a big hill.

They were 'at the gym only' equipment, for us.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:54 PM on Aug. 6, 2010