Saving money at the grocery store

What are your best tips for saving money at the checkout? It seems our grocery costs have skyrocketed over the last year and I'm trying to reign in our budget. Thanks!

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 2:31 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Only buy what is on sale, that you have a coupon for to maximize the savings. But it is actually cheaper to just stop buying the big name brands. I used to be the coupon queen, now I just don't use them and buy store brands/generic. I also make everything from scratch because it is sooo much cheaper. The easiest way to save money is to make a menu for the week. Make the dishes that require fresh vegi early in the week. Shop your pantry first, then make a list of the items you need for your menu. Buy meat when it is BIGIF, stock your pantry with generic stuff, it is just as good. I pay $.59 for low sodium generic cream of mushroom soup. Its great stuff and very creamy and save over $.80 per can because Campbells is $1.39. Always make sure you have the standards in your pantry. Be smart in your purchases and you will be able to reign in that budget! I feed a family of 5 with two cats for $75.00 a week. :)
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 2:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I buy the specials for that week, I plan my meals around those.

Answer by Bmat at 2:33 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• buy the store brands,buy in bulk for items you use alot like soup

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:33 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I print off coupons and then I make a list for what I need. That way I don't get things I really don't need. Lists help me do that. I also set a specific budget for groceries. i see what I normally spend that week and if its average or if it can be cut down.
    Rae_LeComte07

Answer by Rae_LeComte07 at 2:37 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• make out a menu for the whole week. Buy the off brand. Make a list before going, and stick to it! clip coupons, shop at save a lot (if you have one). GL
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 2:34 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I print off coupons from my printer. That way I am not tempted to buy anything I do not use. I am able to stick to things our family uses, and not things that we "might" use or like.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 2:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• No snacks, meal planning, shopping the specials, using coupons, and stocking up on non-perishables when they're a good price.
    3boysandmekmcd

Answer by 3boysandmekmcd at 2:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• We buy generic for most everything and do as much as we can from scratch. We also do some once a month freezer cooking and can pull out frozen enchilads or lasagna if we run out of weekly grocery budget money or just to save time!
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 2:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I shop the sales and the reduced products. I also have a little garden and get tons of fresh veggies that way!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:37 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Carry a calculator, and get to know the prices of the things you buy. Sometimes 'sales' are regular prices... and sometimes the cheapest way to buy things is not in bulk.

Grocery stores have been listening to the advice for lowering grocery bills, so all the 'shop bulk, stay in the perimeter of the store, look high and low' have been completely compensated for: some of the most expensive groceries in the building are on the shelves above the produce and near the floor in the pasta section. There is a store here that takes it as read that most shoppers will not even look at the prices, but will pick up the multi-packs because they're 'cheaper' (6 cans of tuna for nearly 30 cents per can more than one at a time). Imagine the laughter in the back office!

Make your own. Even at $.59/can, soup made at home is a fraction of the cost. Bread is nearly free, relatively. Oatmeal's the cheapest breakfast you can make.

LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:47 PM on Aug. 6, 2010