Drug-testing at prenatal visits?

I've smoked Marijuana moderately for about a year or so. Last night my husband and I found out that I am 5 weeks 2 days pregnant with our first, and I've decided to quit smoking since I now have more important responsibilities.. I have a doctor's appointment August 18th, and I am worried that the doctor will drug test me (is that routine?) and residual THC will show up in my system. What will they do to me? Is it standard procedure to drug test at prenatal visits? I'm in TX if anyone is familiar with the laws here...

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Not sure they're drug test you unless they have a reason to. Some areas vary, some doctors vary. However, if there are drugs in your babies system when its born, youre going to have some major issues with child welfare.

Answer by Glamourina at 2:37 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My doctor never did this unless someone came in obviously stoned.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:37 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• If you are on Medi-Cal, it is mandatory that they test. I was in the same position when I was pregnant with my son- I would be honest with your doctor and ask him/her what to expect if you have THC show up in the drug test.

Answer by CarlyCo at 2:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I have had 2 babies in two different states and have never been drug tested but then I never worried about it. I believe they only do it if there is a concern.

Answer by mommy2boys03 at 2:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• i smoked a lot before i knew i was pregnant, and to be honest, though im not proud of it, i continued to smoke almost through my whole first trimester. the doctor never drug tested me, but i was honest when they asked me if i ever smoked.

Answer by oldsoulmom at 2:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• They don't drug test you unless they have a reason to do so. And I don't even know if they're specifically allowed to. I think they have to get CPS involved before they can even do anything.

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I was never tested with any of my pregnancies (3 and we are in NC). I would just be honest with your doctor. It is a real standup thing you are doing, don't be ashamed of anything.

Answer by 3XsSouthernMama at 2:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I know that when they do your blood test they check for everything. SO it is possible that the THC will show up on your test, it stay in your system for a month. Not sure if they will do anything to you probably just tell you not to do it anymore

Answer by Claudiomom at 2:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• You'd be amazed. THC does not leave a babies system as fast as it does an adults body, so don't guarantee on that. While I can't say that I know for a fact that your baby won't be clean when it's born or when your doctor will test, you do have reason for concern as you never know. I'm not sure how much you used to smoke, etc.

17 states have enacted civil laws making it possible for authorities to take away the children of pregnant women who test positive for drugs. The Ohio Supreme Court may take up the issue soon. So far, hundreds, and perhaps thousands, of children have been taken from their mothers as the result of a single positive drug test, according to the Center for Reproductive Law and Policy.

Answer by Glamourina at 2:49 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• They will ask you and they will test you and your blood for might as well be upfront with them and tell them that you plan on stopping..if the dr is suspicious they may contact cps..

Answer by jorjiegirl at 2:49 PM on Aug. 6, 2010