How did you help your child memorize their multiplication facts?

My daughter is really struggling with her multiplication. Math was always such and easy topic for me that I am not sure how to help her.

3XsSouthernMama

Asked by 3XsSouthernMama at 2:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son is 14 and we still haven't. LOL The best we came to was flashcards.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:40 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• rhyme
    2x2 is 4 so shut the door and say no more!
    2x3 is 6 pick up sticks
    and that sort of thing. That's how we did it. ????
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Flashcards and random asking through the day. While riding in the car I'd toss out what is 5 times 6, like that.

Answer by Bmat at 2:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• flashcards!
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 2:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• i think the best way for most of them, is just to memorize them. theres no other way but to read them over and over again and memorize them.
    but i do know a trick for mulitiply 9's.
    so if you want to do 9 times whatever number. hold your two hands up. say your doing 9 times 4. hold your two hands up and put down your 4th finger. now count the fingers before the fourth finger, thats the first number. count the fingers after the fourth finger, thats your second number. and theres your answer. thats works for every number times 9.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My soon to be 3rd grader has simply memorized the times tables chart from 1 - 10. I also taught them the "9's trick" and little rhymes for the higher numbers--6,7,and 8. If you focus on the middle range numbers they should be fine...1, 2, 3 and 10's tables are easy.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:50 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• We made multiplication charts and left the answers blank. We'd have our daughter fill those in. the chart lets you visually see the patterns and also helps you realize that if you know 2 X 9 you also know 9 X 2, etc. We'd work on a certain group, like all the 3's, for a week. We made multiplication problems for her with only the group we were working on, and also some with the group we were working on mixed up with the ones she'd previously done. My husband was good about just randomly asking her something, like in the middle of dinner he'd ask, "what's 3 X 4?" If she kept missing a certain fact, we'd keep asking it at random times until she started getting it right on a regular basis. 

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:53 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• school house rock. if you can't find the dvd you can get them on youtube and stream them on IMDB. That's how I learned mine way back, my seven year old knows the songs he just hasn't learned what they mean yet but I expect him to be pleasantly surprised when he does.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 9:02 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I made up games using math.be creative and make it fun.
    ymadaris2

Answer by ymadaris2 at 11:26 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• remember when they were called problems?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:13 AM on Aug. 7, 2010