When to use Italics versus quotation marks?

I've checked my writers guide, but haven't found the answer. In a story if the character is reading a sign to themselves in a foreign language and then translating it in their thoughts do you italicize or use quotes?
If the are reading a sign out loud is it italicized within the speakers quotation marks?

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 2:48 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• "If they are reading it out load I think it is Quotationed, if they are thinking it to themselves its Italic" ... sounds good to me, I sure hope she believes me since I really didn't feel like googling it...... ROFLMAO!

WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 2:52 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 2:52 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• If they are reading it out loud, how about putting it in a single quotation mark inside the speaker's marks?

Mary said, "This is what I am thinking of: 'Beware of Dog' . "

Answer by Bmat at 2:52 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• If it is in their mind then it is in italics. If they are saying it aloud then you use quotations.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:56 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Thank you all.
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Aug. 6, 2010