Is this nuts or what?

According to oregonlive.com
a little 7 year old girl opened a lemonade stand in Portland.
The Moltnoman county Health Department shut her down, they demanded she pay $120.00 for a license to operate.
Is this the government going nuts or what?

Natesmom507

Asked by Natesmom507 at 3:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• That is insane, however it is liberal policies at work.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:06 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I say it is neither liberal or conservative powers at work. First off she didn't do it in her front yard, she opened it at an Art in The Park function, in between stands. Second, the health inspector is neither party affiliated. Third, they were told to stand down (the health department) rightfully so.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 3:27 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I'm in Oregon and I heard this on the news. It is nuts. Kids in my town can't put up a lemonade stand without a city issued business permit. It is $100 and costs $50 to renew every year. At 50 cents a glass it takes a LONG TIME to make $100.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:10 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• That's pathetic. I wonder what the payroll taxes are on a lemonade stand. Do they have to file self employment taxes quarterly? What are the OSHA regulations on a stand? Does it depend on how busy the street is that the stand is on? Do insurance premiums go up when you are on a busy street? So many questions, so much red tape. It doesn't even pay to be a kid anymore. This is sad.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:16 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• OMG! WTH?!

I would be pissed if I were her mom!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 3:02 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Oooh, I just read about that in my local paper! Later, someone of higher authority apologized to the girl saying that inspectors are meant for professional vendors and that he himself had opened a lemonade stand as a child and that it is "the true American thing to do as a child"- or something along those lines.. ridiculous. Poor little girl, what is this world coming to.
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 3:14 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• It's nuts, but if she's smart, she'll do what DEMOCRATS do, and charge her customers a $10 tax "sin tax" on each glass!! LOL You know, pass on the costs of LIBERAL policies to the customer?! :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:18 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• They said they did it for "safety" reasons. How is simply getting a $120 permit "safe"? She could still be using a dirty pitcher or rotten lemons!

Quinn you cracked me up!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• they've used restaurant sanitation laws to arrest a priest in San Francisco, too, who was feeding the homeless in a park. it's bullshit, those laws are being misapplied.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I can understand this. If you're in a public setting such as a farmers market or arts/wine fair you have to pay a fee for your spot. You shouldn't just assume it's okay to serve food to the public and not pay..... Health insurance is quite important if said patron got sick off your rotten lemons. stick out tongue mini

And whoever said this was a "liberal" issue, you've lost your marbles. People might like you if you weren't so one dimensional.

parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 6:59 PM on Aug. 6, 2010