It's that time of month again

How's your local unemployment?

"Jobs Picture Worsens With 131,000 Losses; 9.5% Rate
U.S. employment fell for a second straight month in July as more temporary census jobs ended while private hiring rose less than expected, pointing to an anemic economic recovery.

Non-farm payrolls fell 131,000, the Labor Department said on Friday as temporary jobs to conduct the decennial census dropped by 143,000. Private employment, considered a better gauge of labor market health, rose 71,000 after increasing 31,000 in June.

In addition, the government revised payrolls for May and June to show 97,000 fewer jobs than previously reported."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/38590746

We're still at 15% here.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:07 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:08 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• But, but, but, I thought LAST WEEK, we were in "recovery" mode and the economy was on the upswing?! What happened, did all of the TEMPORARY Census jobs finally pass through the "jobs created" date, and since they are no longer, the true unemployment numbers are showing again?!?! *sigh*
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:12 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• The Labor Department said that private employers added just 71,000 new net jobs in July. Meanwhile, the federal government laid off 143,000 temporary census workers, and with budget-strapped local governments also cutting back, the total number of American jobs last month fell by 131,000 from June.
    _______________________
    Horrible.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 3:16 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Boy. It seems like just yesterday things were "in fact" getting better to some. Uggghhhh. We have a long way to go. And looming plans of healthcare, cap and trade, taxes, etc aren't helping.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:16 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Whoops the above was from the la times

stacymomof2

• Again, we are still on the climb. Last time I counted 58 credible jobs (I deleted the salesy crap) and this month I counted 99. On Monster only.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 3:22 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Let me guess. All the experts were caught off guard by the rise in unemployment. And they expect a turnaround in the near future.
    Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 3:22 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

***

BINGO!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:25 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Northampton County is up 1 percent to 9.7.

We are so...LUCKY.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:31 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Auto industry is doing changeover shutdowns right now. People get laid off for a week or two. Just to be honest about the numbers. That in NO way means I think we are recovering.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:32 PM on Aug. 6, 2010