Single mom tips and suggestions.

I'm going to be a single mom soon and would like to know any tips or suggestion other single moms might have to share. Things that make your life easier, what to do, what not to do...things like that. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• I'm an only parent, a widow. My tips are:
    1 - don't be tempted to over-indulge to "make up" for his absence. An overindulged child is not a good thing.
    2 - don't beat yourself up when you make a mistake. Everyone makes mistakes.
    3 - don't compare yourself to other families. Just do the very best you can do.
    4 - don't convince yourself that you're doing your best when you're not. Even when it's hard, do what's right.
    Hang in there, you'll be ok. Best of Luck!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:10 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I used to be a single mom. I know that balancing work and your child can be hard. If you have a bed time rutine and read a book with your child.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 3:11 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Also don't overcompensate for the fact that your child no longer has tow parents that live together. My sister used to do that with my nephew. That little boy made out like a bandit.lol!

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 3:14 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Be careful whom you let get emotionallyinvolved with your child. That way if they no longer want to be around or you break up with them (when you are ready to date). Your child doesn't feel guilty and hurt by it. I did that with my son and my now husband. I told him that if I let him around my son and my son gets attached to him. He needs to treat my son the same if we break up and be there for my son. Like a big brother almost. He said okay. I let him get involved with my son.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 3:16 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Also enjoy being single. No more cleaning his clothes. No more having to tell him that you are going out with your buddies.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 3:17 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I am a single mom, whose son's father is not in his life, no matter how much I try to get him to visit. My tips for you are:
    1) Your child will love you no matter what, do what you can and don't beat yourself up for not being perfect. no one is
    2) When you decide to date again, watch who you bring around your child because little ones get attached quickly and you don't want people in and out of their life.
    3) Remember to make time for just you.. It is not always easy being a single mom, but try to find a little time to pamper yourself and relax(like after LO goes to bed) it helps!
    If you want to talk or anything you can always PM me.. Good Luck! hugs to you, it will all be ok
    ktlyn79s

Answer by ktlyn79s at 3:18 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• You have been given some great advice. Try to find other single moms to relate with and share with. Dont ever forget that your not alone as a single parent. There are some great single parents groups here in cm. Keep a routine going, its important for the kids and its important for you...:)
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 3:19 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Just wake up everyday and decide to be happy -- no matter what comes your way, then just be happy! Works for me :)
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 3:23 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• i have been a single mom since the day my daughter was born, 6 years ago..its hard to give advice, because its all i know..i guess i would say, if someone offers to help you with something, or anything...accept it!! dont make it harder than what it has to be. and on the flip side, remember that its OK to ask for help if you need it.. your child will love you no matter what, just do the best you can, and thats allllll that matters. i dont know your situation at all, like how old your child is, if the father is gonna be there at all...but just dont talk bad about him in front of your child, have open comminucation with your child about their dad (even if he is a complete ass, your child has to make that decision on their own) best of luck...if ya need to talk, pm me!! :)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• like the pp's said, take time for youself even if it means reading a book while your kid plays at the park, or letting them watch a little tv so you can shower in peace. Let the little stuff go and focus on the present as much as possible, kids are great for helping you do that if you let them :)
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 3:43 PM on Aug. 6, 2010