processed vs natural foods

I am curious as to what you would define as processed food and what you define as whole foods
"real vs fake food" so to speak
I am not trying to start a debate or fighting about whether you should eat processed food or not ..I am doing some rerearch on the subject and would really like some others thoughts on the matter.
thanks

munchkinaplenty

Asked by munchkinaplenty at 3:20 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Whole foods to me are just that - ones that are in the same basic state that they were when grown. Processed foods are ones that contain dyes, flavorings, preservatives or have been otherwise altered. When I cook, I only use whole foods - the exception is white flour, rice and sugar. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong in eating processed foods, I just think that too many people make them a mainstay in their diet.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:26 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Processed means it isn't as nature intended it. Someone before you did something to it or added stuff.

Natural or whole comes as nature intended. You have to do stuff to it only if you want.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:24 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Natural foods as much as possible, but every once in awhile a girl's gotta have Cheetos!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 3:23 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Natural foods are free of antibiotics, steriods, etc. The animals are raised in factories with little room to even move and have to be injected with antibiotics because there are so many so close together they are passing disease and eating each others feces. Even milk and dairy products contain RBGH wich is a hormone injected into a cows utter to make it believe that it is pregnant in order to produce more milk. I try to make sure I by natural meats and dairy products for sure.
    Mameech1

Answer by Mameech1 at 3:28 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• The powder in Mac N Cheese is not cheese....it's processed. Pretty much anything in the ailses of a supermarket is processed junk, the outter perimeter with produce, meats and some dairy is natural. But still even "natural" isn't necessarily better. Produce with pesticides all over them or produce thats made from gmo seed (genetically modified) certainly aren't something I would eat. Most "cheese" in the dairy section isn't even cheese....it's labeled "cheese food product" basically colored and flavored lard.

You see the commercials about High Fructose Corn Syrup being fine in moderation, well most people don't realise it's in 8 out of 10 products on grocery shelves, then Americans wonder why they are fat. They are eating quadruple the carbs (aka sugar), not burning the it off & it's being stored as fat.

Go to hulu.com and watch The Future of Food. Then find Food, Inc. and watch that as well. Very eye opening
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:32 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• yes I am with you Scuba .. I am wondering is whole grain bread, pastas and tortillas also considered processed foods technically they are being they are not in their natural state like they came out of the ground as neither is peanut butter. corn meal, all fruit jam for that matter.. or are these things considered whole foods?? I am not talking by the Websters definition or extreme like if you haven't picked it yourself  it would be processed in some way kind of definition but what people feel on a personal level

munchkinaplenty

Comment by munchkinaplenty (original poster) at 3:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• processed to me means anything that has been altered from it's origianl form, usually fast food, most breads have a lot of chemical additives, pre packaged meals, t.v dinners , sunny D,cheeotes,oreos,kraft cheese,lunchables,, poptarts.... things like that.

Natural means things, like , whole grains , beans, rice, fresh raw fruits and veggies...I stopped eating processed foods about 5 years ago and have never felt better!
    prettymama0607

Answer by prettymama0607 at 3:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Check out the book In Defense of Food: An Eaters Manifesto by Michael Pollan
    abra

Answer by abra at 4:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2010