Question about my cat!!!

My cat poops in his litter box but doesn't pee!! He pees on my carpet right outside my laundry room. Is there anyway I can stop this or do I have to get rid of him :(

Rae_LeComte07

Asked by Rae_LeComte07 at 3:21 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Pets

• Do you ever catch him in the act? If you do, get a really cheap water gun or spray bottle (bottles leak less, in my experience) and every time you see him acting like he's about to pee there, spray him and try to get him in the litter box. I've had the same problem with some of my cats before. You really have to work with them to get them to stop, and some don't. You could also try putting his litter box right where he normally pees for a while and see if he'll use it there. Good luck hun, I know it can be a pain in the butt.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:25 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Oh wow, is he really old? My neighbors cat started doing that and he is 12. Maybe call the vet and ask what they think. Im sorry I dont know the answer to that one.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 3:25 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Try getting another litter box and putting it there. And get rid of the carpet if you can.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:26 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Is he neutered? A cat that isn't neutered is likely to start spraying or peeing to mark territory. Do you clean the mess thoroughly? A cat will go back to a previously soiled area to do his business again if he can still smell it. Do you actively clean the litter box? Some finicky cats require it be cleaned daily.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 3:27 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My vet told me to put a little cat nip in the litter box. He also said there's something you can buy ( forgot name) to put where they pee and it makes a loud noise and a big puff of air, so it scares them. I don't know though.
    mommyfox03

Answer by mommyfox03 at 3:27 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Cats are very finicky and picky, He may not want to pee in the same spot he poops, try getting another litter box for him to pee in. You also may not be cleaning his litter box enough. I know my cat will not go in his if it's too dirty. He also may have a medical problem and he's trying to tell you, call a vet and see if you can get any answers over the phone or if it's best to bring him in for an exam. Good luck!
    lilybug524

Answer by lilybug524 at 3:32 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• What kind of litter to you use? Have you recently changed the type? I know that one time I accidentally bought the regular clay litter and my two cats freaked out. I switched back to the crystals kind and didn't have another problem. Cats are such habitual creatures that any change in their life can cause them to misbehave. I have also had success with the water bottle training methods so give it a go. Good luck!
    MamaMellie419

Answer by MamaMellie419 at 3:47 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• You may want 2 boxes for your cat one for Poo and one for P' ya silly but cats can be picky...
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 8:18 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• You should have 1 more box than you have cats. If you have one cat, you should have two boxes. 3 boxes for two cats, etc.

Have your cat checked by your vet. Some cats will pee in different areas if they are not feeling well, or have a UTI, also, if they have had a previously untreated UTI, they can form an aversion to the box if there was a negative experience like difficult or painful urination in it.

Changes in litter, family, food or pretty much anything else particular to your cat's lifestyle can cause a change in elimination habits. If illness is ruled out by the vet, see if there is a change that can be switched back and introduced gradually if necessary. You can place a box in the area where he is peeing and slowly over several days or weeks (base on the size of your house) move the box to a preferred (for you) area.

Make sure to clean the peed-on area with an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle or Urine-Off.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 12:10 AM on Aug. 9, 2010