Crawling Question

How did your baby start crawling? DD is almost 8 mos old. She is doing a few different things right now. If I put her down on the floor and she gets onto her belly she will go in circles on the floor. She also will go from a sitting position to her hands and knees, but she gets one leg stuck under her and hasn't figured out hwo to get it out yet.

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 3:29 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She'll do it when she's ready. Mine crawled backward first. And they did an army crawl for a little while. My son rolled everywhere first. Just give it time, there is nothing you can do to rush it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:31 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• she will crawl soon. my baby started crawling at 6 months but she would rock on her hands and knees for a few weeks before she started, my friends baby (he is very overwieght) never crawled. he was too big. he started walking at 11 months.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:34 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• It'll happen when she is ready though it sounds like she'll figure out soon. My daughter got her foot stuck and rock and then did the army crawl before the "normal" crawl. Just give her lots of opportunities to practice and get on the floor with her.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 3:34 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My son got off his tummy and did the "air hump" thing. No he wasn't really humping the air.lol! It took him a few days to get it down pat. Then he was speed racer.

My daughter never did that. She did her version of an army crawl. She laid on her tummy, put her head down, then used her arm, and foot to push/scoot her self where ever she wanted to go. She got crapet rash from doing that on her head and the top of her foot all the time. Before that she rolled where ever she wanted to go.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 3:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I also think it will happen when she's ready; it will be like she's always known. My son started crawling at 7 months but I remember him getting on his knees and hands and just rock back and forth for the longest...he just wouldn't do it. One day I was playing with him and he got on his hands/knees and off he went...fast too like he had been practicing behind our backs or something, it was cute! She wil crawl soon, you will see.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 3:37 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Both my kids learned to walk before they got any good at crawling. They preferred to be up where they could hold onto things and up where they could see more. Later, they figured out walking.

As long as she doesn't lie on the floor like a lump, she's fine. She'll be walking long before she's 20.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Some babies never crawl. My baby scooted then crawled rather early. If she wass not being worn in a sling, we put her down every where...slippery wood floor,cool tile, carpet, playground mulch, sand, grass... each requires different locomotion technique so that likely encouraged it.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:54 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• give her time she will get there and sounds like very soon.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 6:10 PM on Aug. 6, 2010