Starting solids

So everything I have read and everything everyone has told me always said that your baby is ready for soild food when htey start reaching for your food and what not. DD is 8 mos old and has recently started doing this. She's been on babyfood, so I've been testing a few things. she LOVES pickles and will eat a pickle like nothing. But that's about the the only thing she eats without gagging so much she vomits. I gave her one of those biter cookies and she doing good gumming on it, then she took a bite off of it and started gagging on it and threw up everywhere! So how can I tell when she's ready to move on to something else? She really wants our food, but she just keeps gagging herself on it. No matter how small I do it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The teething cookies are the worst. they are hard and don't dissolve. I hope you threw them away. Give her things that dissolve, like graham crackers. My kids all choked also. Try pasta. I also used to make a can of vegetable soup and just give them the pasta and veggies. They were extremely soft.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:37 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My daughter turns 8 months in a week. Perhaps you are still giving pieces of food way too big. For example if I give my daughter a piece of chicken it's the size my tiny pinky nail. The only foods I don't break down into teeny tiny bites are pretzel rods, toast, fruit puffs and spaghetti o's all of which she manages to chew with her front teeth. But even those fruit puffs I used to have to break into 3 pieces before giving her. Anything your daughter eats should be no bigger than half a cheerio if she is having that much trouble.....or just waiting a bit longer.

You may want to try stage 3 babyfoods first to give her practice on chewing small bits of food
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Cut the foods you give her up some more --so she doesn't have a whole cookie she can take a big bite of. Don't puree everything, as that texture isn't like eating and will not help her learn to chew. Pureeing is only necessary if you're feeding very young babies foods because otherwise they'll die of malnutrition from the crappy early 'formulas' like 'canned milk, corn syrup and water' and the stupid 'raw goats milk' one available online now.

Teeth are not related to chewing --my great grandmother had no teeth at all after she was 18, and ate everything including steak until she died at 96. Year old babies without teeth eat food.

Give her shredded cooked meat, whole peas, cubes of well-cooked carrots or raw bananas, or cooked rice... and let her feed herself and sort it out herself. If, after a month or two of exploring real food she still can't seem to swallow anything, get her checked for physical anomalies in her throat.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:43 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Unfortunately, that often comes with the territory of spoon feeding purees. One never has to give purees to a baby or spoon feed them. It''ll take her some time to regulate her gagging. If you notice, when she gags and vomits it doesn't phase her much. In that respect, children are like dogs. The gag reflex is designed this way purposefully. It keeps things out of the airway. It falls forward and the baby may just pick it up and try again more often than not. I've given my baby table foods (never purees) since she started at 7 1/2 months.

If she has pincer grip give her pieces she can pick up. If it helps you can give her soft finger foods like sweet potato or butternut squash. Those cookie things are not good, they crumble really irritate the gag reflex. See this site for more info on how to introduce table foods. baby led solids
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:47 PM on Aug. 6, 2010