What is your Pre-K going to teach your kids?

Do they have any unique things they do for the kids?

Mine is going to work with the kids on reading, spelling, letters, etc.

They aren't supposed to but they will and that makes me happy because a lot of the local schools start spelling tests in the first month of kindergarden!

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 3:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I preschooled my son at home and in three and a half months he learned to read, write, not cut his fingers off, glue is not food and science and art ROCK! He counts and can add, knows the planets and loves to build with legos. Little peeps are like sponges and can learn so much.... I really wish I could keep teaching him here at home... but he starts Kindergarten in 2 weeks!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 3:48 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• my daughter goes to a special needs preschool, for speach problems and she learns all kinds of things, she learned to right her name already and she will be four in a couple weeks
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:40 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Recognizing and writing letters, numbers, colors, and shapes. Things about the world like weather and important people. And social skills.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 3:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I already have my daughter enrolled in the pre-k at the daycare she was already going to, but it is a good 30-45 minutes away from our new home we just moved to this weekend so I had looked into another school as a potential for us. BUT they say that in pre-k kids aren't supposed to be taught reading, writing, letters of the week, etc. I think these are VERY important skills to learn and are very age appropriate as my 3 year old is already learning to do these things as well and loves it! Hell! I tell my four month old what color he is wearing every day and such too! Learning is important and vital.
    I have decided to stay at the current schoole even thoug it is farther from my home and work because they will be teaching my children so much more and so much better. :) If I could stay home and teach them I would in a heartbeat, but I can't and so choosing the appropriate school is important to me. :)
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 3:55 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My son was in 3 year old Pre-k last year and they taught them to recognize their names and practice writing them. Also how to properly hold a pencil as well as cutting well with scissors and coloring in the lines. Also all the basic stuff like letters, numbers, colors and shapes.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 4:10 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My son is starting pre-k at the preschool he attends. They are going to teach him how to read, continue with counting, count in 10's, continue with writing his letters and numbers. His preschool at 3 teaches them how to write and recognize all letters and their name. They will also learn the life span of animals such as how they evolve (caterpillar to butterfly), all the planets, continue with days of the week and months of the year, simple addition and subtraction, science and cooking experiments, sound recognition, etc.  It really gets them ready for kindergarten through socialization and learning to follow rules, listen to teachers, and learning to sit quietly for longer periods of time.  Very important when starting school.  I am happy with my choice in preschool. I choose a private one simply b/c this one has the best reputation among the grade schools here.

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:11 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Its kinda funny, really... I'm always hearing "what do you mean he didn't go to preschool?" It is odd how it is assumed that all kids attend. I shake my head and say "for starters I can't afford preschool, I'm a stay at home mom... the teaching thing is part of the requirements, isn't it?" ...I never question those decisions anymore...while this guy is starting Kindergarten, my other two are 11th & 12th graders so I must have done ok.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 4:31 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• your child will learn to enter act with other children ,share with out you being there to tell them to.Be a Leader or a follower.She or he will learn to act on their own,learn to pick their thing and place them where they go.Learn to follow other adults instructions with out you .Learn to choose friends .Learn their colors,animal sounds ,how to tie their shoes, how to go to the toilet with a dozen other children at one time,LOL LOL that is the funniest time of day for the day care people not just one needs to go at least three to five need to at one time.Most all of them do not know how to care for their self's afterward.That is the funny part.They get off the pot and go looking for the person, and they are usually busy, so they all wind up in one space making all ucky sounds and noises cause, one of them have gone number2.So they learn toilet etiquette the first few weeks.Most of all they learn to laugh together.
    maxy60

Answer by maxy60 at 4:34 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Preschool is free silly! Or is that just in my area?
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 9:01 PM on Aug. 6, 2010