Hiring a housekeeper?

I am now working full-time, and I'm considering hiring a housekeeper to come in on a bi-monthly basis to deep clean toilets, the kitchen, vacuum/steam clean carpets, mop floors, and dust/polish furniture and decor.

I would of course only hire someone from a reputable agency, but I feel funny giving someone a key to my home when I'm not there, and worrying that I have to remember to lock up all of my valuables when I'm out of the house.

What do those of you who have housekeepers do? Do they come when you're not home? And if you discovered something was missing, how would you prove it was the housekeeper....wouldn't it be one person's word against the other?

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 3:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I used Maid Brigade for a long time. They had a key and came when we weren't home. It was SO NICE to come home to a clean house every other week. They are bonded and insured against theft. I never had a problem.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• ive used a lady who is a friend of the family. she is my aunt's friend/neighbor and has been cleaning her house for a while so i was pretty sure she wouldnt steal from me. you should ask around to see if anyone you know knows somebody. i've been here when she cleaned, but i perfer to just leave for a few hours and let her do her thing.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:54 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• The cleaning lady I have hired for my dads house only comes when he is home. I would feel like that to and that's why I don't have a maid I don't like anyone here when I'm not here.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:19 AM on Aug. 7, 2010