Going grocery shopping....

So i have a limit of 400 a month, Give me some ideas on things that are cheap, Like cheap meals! I really dont wanna go over this month! Any suggestions would be great!

DeeMarie87

Asked by DeeMarie87 at 3:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I feed my family of 4 on about $50 a week, so double that would mean eating high on the hog, lol.
    I try to make at least one meal that will last for two days, such as lasagna, a turkey breast, sloppy joes or tacos. I sit down and write down what I plan to make for dinner for the week. Then I make my list based on what I need for those meals, breakfast foods and lunches. If I have enough in my budget I buy more of the meat items to save for other weeks. Because I do this, half the meats/poultry on my list I usualy already have in the house. Like today I bought 2 pounds of ground beef, 1 pound stayed in the fridge for tacos this week, the other pound went into the freezer for another week. I do also go to BJ's to buy the big bags of Chicken Breasts, one $12 bag is about 4-5 meals in my house.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• We do a lot of rice, beans, homemade soups and stir-fry that is mostly veggies and perhaps a 1lb of meat. That is all I ever have to spend per month and that INCLUDES toiletries, dog food, etc.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 3:43 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Look for meat on sale and freeze. I do this all the time. Do you have a crock pot? I buy meat according to what I can throw in the crock. There is a great crock pot group here in cm with tons of receipes in it....if you dont own a crock you can pick one up for about $25.00. I love mine!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 3:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My cheap go to meals are :

Taco Mac&Cheese- 1 lb ground meat (turkey or beef), 1 onion, diced- Brown meat with onion and drain. Mix in 1 pack Taco Mix according to package directions. Make 2 boxes of mac&cheese according to package directions and then mix in 1 can diced tomatoes (Rotel work good) and 1 can of corn, drained and Taco meat. Mix and heat through. I usually had some shredded cheese to make it more cheesy.

Breakfast for dinner is cheap and filling too. Scrambled eggs, English muffins or toast and sausage or bacon. Pancakes are cheap and filling too.

I'm doing twice baked potatoes tonight. Baking the potatoes and scooping out the middles and mixing with butter, cheese, bacon and green onions and then putting them back in the skins and warming through. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 3:55 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Whole chickens are usually pretty cheap.
    I like to buy a couple a month and they make for at least 2 different meals..with the left overs.

I like to stock up on spaghettie sauce and different kinds of noodles(if I can find them on sale that is)

kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:57 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I use the pantry staple list from Alice Water's The Art of Simple Food and that keeps my budget under $100 a week for 4 people.
    abra

Answer by abra at 3:58 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Make out your menu and choose dishes to make that kinda stretch the meat. Say, for example, the Roast Whole Chicken. That is a three meal maker right there (roasted, casserole, soup). Roast Beef can go two days. Pork Chops one night, save a chop for fried rice. Wow, so right there is seven days.
    I did a little test once and every night for a week, I served a cup of soup w/dinner rolls and a small salad, plus my entree with sides. But, I made 1/2 as much of the entree and sides as I normally would to see if I could cut back on the about of meat I had to buy. There are 5 of us so the amount of some things aren't enough in a single package. I saved money and they were filled up. So whenever I make my homemade soups I always freeze enough for a couple nights. Be creative think outside the box.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 4:17 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• go with generic brand, not name brand. that saves a lot!
    get foods where you know you will have left overs, because leftovers can create a whole new meal.
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 5:17 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• How big is your family? I would LOVE to have $400 a month to feed our little family of 4. Buy frozen fruits and veggies instead of fresh. Make sure you have a menu and a list and stick to it. Generic isn't always cheaper. Use coupons. Sometimes you can get stuff for free if you use them right. I like to use coupons w/ the sale items.
    ziff130

Answer by ziff130 at 5:33 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Meal planning is soooo important! That way you aren't wandering around picking things up because you would 'probably eat that'

Spaghetti 1 jar with added 1 pound meat is cheap, I will also throw in some frozen spinach if we have some.

Breakfast for dinner: Eggs, toast/ jam and fruit. OR Breakfast burritos. ( A Jimmy dean skillet w/ tortilla's)

Quick and Easy Alfredo (Makes a TON of food!!)

Easy Taco Casserole:  This particular recipe calls for Mayo or dressing.  WE use Ranch and it is awesome!!

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2010