Dog question....

I have a three year old dog who likes to vomit....
He drinks tons of water and does it during the cooler months also.....
Then he vomits the water up.....
He'll do it wether there is food in his system or not.....
Then he sits there while I clean it up trying to give me a puppy eyes stare...
Why does he do this?
If it's for attention I don't like it.

tryin2BGOOD

Asked by tryin2BGOOD at 3:44 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Pets

• He may be drinking too fast. I had a German Shepard/Lab mix that did this. Try giving a little water with more ic. if he eats the ice, it'll hydrate him, and he shouldn't throw it up.
    Aslen

Answer by Aslen at 3:53 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Some pets drink so fast that they make their stomachs upset... try raising the bowl so he doesnt have to lower his head...keep only small amounts in the bowl @ a time and make sure its room temp and not super cold...
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 3:54 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Don't know about your dog, but my dog does that and it is because she has a sensitive digestive system and she has hyperthyroidism.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 3:53 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I am sure your dog is not Throwing- Up to get attention- I think they are pretty much like us & Hate to Throw- Up! My dog throws- up sometimes b/c she has too much Acid in her stomach & she will go sit by herself until it is cleaned up- She gives those puppy dog eyes too & acts like she is in trouble- i have no clue why b/c she is Spoiled Rotten & i hardly ever get mad at her about anything; especially getting sick! I think your dog is just drinking his water too fast!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 4:02 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I have two dogs that will drink too fast and then throw up-and look at me like "what?" When I look at them and say "really? Again?" Lol it happens almost every morning. They drink too much when they first get up in the am bc they have not had any all night. I now put them outside to go to the bathroom and put water outside for them. They still drink too fast but they are outside so I don't have to clean it up...again.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 4:51 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Our dogs live in the house and even sleep in our bed. I don't put them outside because it reaches 120 * here sometimes, but I will try putting ice in their water. I guess I am lucky only one vomits up water.
    tryin2BGOOD

Comment by tryin2BGOOD (original poster) at 5:29 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I'm going with bumblebee on this one. I was a vet tech for 5 years and the bigger dogs do this a lot. It's not that uncommon. Try the things bumblebee recommended and if they don't work then talk to your vet and see if he/she can recommend anything.
    ziff130

Answer by ziff130 at 5:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• not sure .....bump
    treysmama06

Answer by treysmama06 at 11:02 PM on Aug. 7, 2010