Would you drive 45 minutes to take your children to school/daycare?

Why or why not?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 3:57 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• See you really aren't driving that far, you just live in a town like mine. Horrible, city traffic that makes going anywhere, longer then it really should be!! Seeing it's in town like that and you can't control the traffic then I would still do it. We homeschool, but I do 30-45 minute drives to take them to co-op or special homeschooling classes at the local museums. NONE of it is really that far, it' just the stupid city traffic! If you didn't have to deal with the stupid city congestion I bet it would only take you about 15 minutes to get there. However your city traffic is doubling your time. We have the same issue here.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 4:37 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I would if it was a good school, and if there was nothing as good nearer.

mommy_sam

Answer by mommy_sam at 3:59 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Is that the closest school?
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 3:58 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Last year I did. well, that was my round trip. I took my youngest to a pre-k through the school system that was just speech. It was for one year only, and the drive sucked.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:58 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My sister did when my niece was in elementary school. She wanted her in a private school and they lived in a remote area. I live in a city so I would never have that problem. Enough schools around here for just about everybodys needs. But if I was in a remote location like my sis, maybe I would.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 4:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• it really depends on 1. is the school/daycare worth it 2. can you afford the gas. if yes to both then why not. i drove my daughter 55 miles to her learning center once we moved instead of finding another one. they were awesome and it was well worth it
    bzyblondmomof5

Answer by bzyblondmomof5 at 4:04 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Only if it was on my way to work anyway. Unless that is the closest school to you, I think that's ridiculous.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 4:13 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Only if it was close to my work but other then that no. You'll be wasting a lot of money on gas going to and from everyday.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:14 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• it depends on ALOT... Where you live. whats the situation....
    Me. Personally. No way... I only live 30min away from houston & where I live I rarely have to drive more than 10min to get to where I need to go (unless im going to the beach in galveston, or the zoo/museums/ect in houston. lol)

But my sister lives in a remote town & driving 45min for school would be kinda normal for her if it was a special school for her kids.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:14 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• 45 minutes--because traffic is heavy and it takes several minutes jut to move a block? Or 45 minutes being that the school is literally that far a way? Is the school like 27 miles away (assuming you can drive at a rate of 45 miles per hour w/hardly any stops)? Or something like that? That makes a difference in my decision or not. It takes my husband 30-45 minutes just to get to work and his job is only 10 miles away from our home. It just takes so long because the local traffic is horrible! It can take us 30-45 minute just to go 10 miles, even though the speed here is 45-55 miles per hour on the roads we use. It just that it has a lot of traffic, stop and go, so you can't really move that fast.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 4:18 PM on Aug. 6, 2010