Since I am high risk, should I quit my job?

I work at a lodging facility but I do some heavy lifting sometimes. Long work hours. I work with mostly males and they have no idea what I am going through. Some act like I am bringing up the pregnancy issue because I want o get out of work!

Rae_LeComte07

Asked by Rae_LeComte07 at 4:23 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• What did your doctor say? Did your doctor say to stop working?

Answer by louise2 at 4:26 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I would! I quit my job when I was in my 6th month because my job required a lot of travel, living out of a suitcase and fast paced training sessions. And, I was also stressed out, as 9/11 had just happened, and I was afraid to fly for a while thereafter.

If your job REQUIRES a lot of physical lifting, and you simply cannot do your job as required, then yes, I would quit until after you have your baby and use up your maternity leave.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:26 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• if your doctor says to then yes,
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 4:31 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I would quit especially if you are considered high risk, or maybe they can put you at a desk job in the mean time?
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 4:53 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• When I was a high risk pregnancy my dog said no more than 25# and I was a vet tech. I had her write everything down and I gave the list to my boss so he could see that it came from the doc. There was a male vet tech and he was always very good about helping me w/ heavy stuff. They only let me work half a day on my feet and then the rest of the day they put me on the desk. Talk to your doctor and your boss and see what you can work out. Even when I was put on bedrest they brought work to my house and I kept track of the hours so I could still get paid. Hopefully they'll work with you.
    ziff130

Answer by ziff130 at 5:11 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• If your doctor says you cannot do any heavy lifting, then your job is required BY LAW to accommodate that. Pregnancy is a disability just like any other and you have legal rights. You should not have to quit your job in order to have a healthy pregnancy. You really need to talk to your doc about the specific tasks you do at work, and what restrictions he thinks you need. I was taken down to half time at work at about 6 months because of stress, and my state disability paid the difference in my salary because it was a medical issue.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 5:15 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I would if you are high risk. The baby is the most important thing right now.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:08 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• i was and am still high risk. my doc gave me a note to take to work saying my limits and your employer has to follow them .I wouldn't just go and quit your job. then when the baby is born if you plan on going back you won't have a job to go back to. I am currently on disability and maternity leave until 6 weeks after the baby is born. if you think you can't handle your job take a leave or just talk to your employer.
    travisnowensmom

Answer by travisnowensmom at 2:30 AM on Aug. 7, 2010