Would you let your child do this?

Would you let your 11 year old ride his bike down to the corner store to buy himself a snack? The store is three blocks away and he does not have to cross any busy streets. He has been to that store a hundred times, so they know him there.
Would you let your kid do it?
If you think he is too young, when is the right age?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 4:37 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it depends on if you can trust him to just go to the store and back. Kids are different as far as maturity level.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 4:38 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I dunno. My parents let me when I was little, and it was crossing two streets. I think I started around 6 but I'd go with an older cousin who was 5-6 years older than me. However, times were a lot different. I'd go there almost every day after school and buy a Snow Cone, bag of chips, and a soda. =)
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 4:40 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• i think it depends on the area. i would not where i live.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• if i lived in a small town then probably yes. however i live in a large city area and in a high crime neiborhood so no way what so ever!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 4:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• If its a good area why not, But he would have a time limit! And he couldent go if it was getting dark!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 10:11 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• It's really sad that I have to think so hard about this. While 11 should be old enough, and it should be totally fine, these days you have to worry. When I was a kid, it would have been fine, but now...who knows? I honestly don't know how I'll be when my son is old enough that I have to make decisions like this.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:25 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Not my kid because he has autism,but if he was neuro-typical,then yes.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• yikes mami, there was a time when doing this was safe, today I would think twice, so many kids taken on a daily basis. I do not think he is too young for this, I am just scare of the what if's, but then again you can't lead your life in fear can you?
    Go for it, it will make him feel mature, and trust worthy.

Answer by older at 4:40 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I agree with DarkFaery. It also depends on what kind of town you live in. We live in a very small, Mayberry-type town. When my LO's reach 11 I would probably let them. If you have a cell phone, maybe let him carry it with him?
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 4:40 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Well, If it was a straight or almost straight shop with out any major crossings and I was comfortable with the area I would let him with a friend. Maybe not alone until he was closer to 14/15.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2010