URGENT

I was just feeding my 5 month old son a bottle of formula about an hour ago and he had just fallen asleep. I took the bottle out of his mouth and all of a sudden his head started shaking back and forth. Not as fast as a shivering motion but it was alarming to me. I said his name a couple of times but he did not wake up. This only lasted for a few seconds but my mom instincts are tingling. There was nothing right about that! Another thing that worries me is my aunt and uncle on my mom's side (if that matters) both have epilepsy and was very bad in their childhood. They were both hospitalized for years. He is awake and acting normal right now but I am contemplating if I should take him to the doctor or hospital. What if it was a seizure? There probably won't be anything they can do to figure it out. Help! I don't want to see that happen again. It was terrifying :(

BraydonsMama262

Asked by BraydonsMama262 at 4:44 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Under these conditions, I'd take him in immediately. No question about that. Many types of epilepsy runs in families, so go mama!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 4:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR!!!! That is the best thing to do, especially if you are concern about the possibility of seizures. None here is really qualified to help you sight unseen! TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR!!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 4:47 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• At the very least, I would call the doctor. Better safe than sorry, especially if there is a family history (even if it's not a direct line).
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 4:48 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Call your doctor. It may have just been a shiver, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 4:49 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Also:
    There are different causes of epilepsy that are common in certain age groups.

During the neonatal period and early infancy the most common causes include hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy, CNS infections, trauma, congenital CNS abnormalities, and metabolic disorders.
    During late infancy and early childhood, febrile seizures are fairly common. These may be caused by many different things, some thought to be things such as CNS infections and trauma.
    During childhood, well-defined epilepsy syndromes are generally seen.
    During adolescence and adulthood, the causes are more likely to be secondary to any CNS lesion. Further, idiopathic epilepsy is less common. Other causes associated with these age groups are stress, trauma, CNS infections, brain tumors, illicit drug use and alcohol withdrawal.
    In older adults, cerebrovascular disease is a very common cause. Other causes are CNS tumors, head trauma, and other
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 4:51 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Absolutely call your doc.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:53 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I agree call your dr. My son had seizures and it was very scary.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 5:59 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• call your doctor!
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 8:29 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• i know this is gonna sound crazy but my daughters doctor said if she has a fever it could cause her to have a seizure and this is with all babys he said it would be ok.. and not to be alarmed... ANYWAYS! if it were my child i would take the child to the hospital. immediatly weather the doc says its ok or not... oh btw i got a new doctor for her (:
    teenmommytobe16

Answer by teenmommytobe16 at 8:58 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• is he shaking it like when you shake your head no? Both my children do that and so does my SO when they sleep. If you look it up (if that's what you meant by shaking) it can be related to teething or ear infection.
    angelbabies14

Answer by angelbabies14 at 11:09 PM on Aug. 6, 2010