do you own a gun in your home with children?

I am a single mother of 3 young children. I have been thinking of getting a handgun for protection. I have a German Shephard but hes all bark and no bite. I get very nervous being home alone all the time with my kids and i think that having a weapon would help but i also am scared of the chance that my kids would get ahold of it even if i keep it locked up.

I would ofcorse take the classes and hope to god that i would never have to use the thing but i just dont know how comfortable i would be knowing its in the same home as my babies...

People have told me to just get a tazer but personaly i dont want to have to get that close to someone if my family is in danger.

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 4:50 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• yeah, what is a tazer going to do??
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:51 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I wouldnt get a gun.
    mommy_sam

Answer by mommy_sam at 4:53 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Nope, no guns in my house. I know how to shoot a gun, but I just choose not have one.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 4:54 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• not yet but hubby wants one :(
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 4:54 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I would not. For one if you are going to keep it locked up, how are you going to get it out and ready in time for protecting your family. Also the risks of one of the kids finding it is too much for me. Kids are wilely and will find a way to get to it to play.

I think I would be happier with alarms on the doors and a can of wasp spray.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:55 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My husband has a couple, but they are 100% out of reach or sight of my son. I think they're fine as long as you truly are careful with them. We don't keep them loaded, and the bullets aren't in the same place as the guns. However, if we ever truly needed it for protection, my husband could have it loaded in 30 seconds.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:57 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• No, but I don't care if a person has a gun or not. My sister does, I know my neighbors do. It's really a personal choice and in the end you have to do what you feel is best for you and your family. If owning a gun is what's best so be it. It's within your legal right to own a firearm.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 4:58 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Guns are definitely NOT allowed in my house with kids. Hubby has a gun collection passed down from his family, but it will never be in our house. I don't care if it's locked up, not going to happen. He can rent a storage unit if he's so adamant about it and keep it there.

It only takes one mistake to have something very tragic happen with guns.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 4:58 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I've always been against guns in my house around my kids. My husband grew up around guns his whole life, his dad was a police officer for 30 years and use to take him hunting so he's used to them. This conversation came up with him and I about 3 months ago, I was against him purchasing one but he did; for protection and for recreational purposes as well. Though I understand the reason why he wanted one, I still don't like it but I've seen him be responsible with it, he's also teaching our kids how to respect guns. I worry about the safety of my children but if my husband is teaching the kids the right way to handle and respect them I am ok with it for now.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 5:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I was going to recommend the wasp spray as well. It shoots pretty far so you don't get stung by the wasps and it'll burn and intruder's eyes. We have a few guns but they all have trigger locks on them and the ammo is in the attic so if we needed it for protection, well it would take a long time to get it together. They are rifles for hunting. Not for humans. That's when the wasp spray comes in. ;)
    ziff130

Answer by ziff130 at 5:03 PM on Aug. 6, 2010