Would you drive 15~20 miles to take each way to take your 6th grader to school?

My dd is attending a private local school right now but it only goes up to 5th grade. I am considering sending her to a school a bit farther away. Do you think I'm crazy to drive 15~miles both ways?? would you do it?

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 5:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• 15 minutes seems reasonable to me. But I grew up in a very rural area and we had to travel that much to even get to the grocery store, so it wouldn't bother me. Maybe you could car pool with someone else once you knew other families with children there. Good luck with your decision.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:04 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• i drove 12 miles to take my son to pre k every morning and 12 miles back. Then 12 miles to go and pick him up..and back again. I dont think its crazy. I would do it
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:02 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I don't think it is crazy. I drive my kid 7 miles to school everyday. You should look for a carpool though to save on time and gas.

I would drive more if I had to, to get him the education he deserves!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:03 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• there was even a preschool 1 mile from my house but it looked like trash and i didnt want him going to a trashy school...so i was willing to drive the extra miles
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:03 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• If necessary, I'd do it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:04 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I would do it if it benefit my child.

Answer by older at 5:07 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• It's more reasonable to drive your child to school than a lot of other things people drive ridiculous amounts of miles for.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:13 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I don't believe in private schools, unless your child is special needs or highly gifted. Private schools seem to have a more limited social demographic and no study has proven that children get a better education at a private school. I would say send her to a public school and make her ride the bus.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 5:03 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• No, not at all I drive about 25 miles each way to take all my kids to school, been doing it for 6 years. I say if you could make it work with your scheduling as well as financially for gas then that's great! I take my kids outside of my district because the other cities schools rank the highest in the state so to me their education is worth the drive (public school).
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 5:04 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I wouldn't be able to because our school system does not provide us buses so I have three kids to drive to and from two different schools all at different times, I wouldn't be able to squeeze it in! ROFL...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 5:04 PM on Aug. 6, 2010