2.5 and not talking.

Amita is 2 and I can't get her to talk. It is extremely difficult to get her to sit long enough to sit and read a book. However she has no problem sitting and watching a full length movie. I have the "Brainy Baby" movies, that finally got her waving Hi and Bye.
I have read other users questions about the same thing and I think she is too young to put in speech therapy. Other than reading and constant repitition are there any other suggestions? I want to start potty training but I think it would be pointless because she cant tell me when she needs to go.

Charma7

Asked by Charma7 at 5:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She's not to young for speech therapy. I'd look into that soon.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:04 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I would have her evaluated just for your peace of mind. Ask Dr about it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:06 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• sure she's too young for speech therapy? my niece is 18 months and doesn't really talk and she's in speech therapy.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 5:07 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Get her signing!!!! You can check out some books at the library, and teach her basic signs for much needed communication.

Neither of my Boys spoke a single word until almost 2 1/2- now both of them speak fluently, and clearly. Not all children are on the same time line, nor does speech delay mean that she has a problem.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:08 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I would discuss this with her doctor. She's probably totally fine, but just in case, I'd talk to the doc.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:09 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Talk with your pediatrician... every child is different.... they all learn at different paces..
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 5:11 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Please have her evaluated at early intervention or child find or what ever your state calls it.

My oldest child was speech delayed and began getting speech therapy at age 2.5. By 6 no one could tell that he had been in speech for that long. If she just started waving she might have other delays as well (and kids with one delay very often but not always have more than one delay. My son also had some gross motor issues.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:18 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Wow, teaching a young child sign language gets a thumbs down... Interesting.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:44 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I have already talked with the Doc. about it and he says she is fine. He said since she doesn't get much peer interaction she will be delayed. I am just looking for ways to speed the process. We don't need day care and it would cost more than our rent to put her in it even part time. Not to mention it is damn near impossible to find reputable child care.
    I have had her signing some things for a while now. She seems to respond better to signing than talking. She has even picked up some signs from her Disney and learning videos.
    Charma7

Comment by Charma7 (original poster) at 6:53 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I say get her evaluated. My daughter is ten now and is having so many problems in school.I have tried for years to get her evaluated and finally I have some answers. Not the ones I wanted but now she can get the help she needs. No one would even think that she has problems because she acts just like other girls her age.Better safe than sorry.
    Beenthere4times

Answer by Beenthere4times at 7:31 PM on Aug. 6, 2010