flexeril while pg?

does anyone know if it is safe to take flexeril while pregnant? My doc gave it to me in the beginning of my pregnancy but now I am 37 weeks and not sure if it is still safe. I have a fibroid on the top of my uterus that is pushing into my ribs and I am in a lot of pain. I need something to relax me a little. any ideas?

travisnowensmom

Asked by travisnowensmom at 5:13 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Dr should be asking every appointment what if any meds you're currently on. If he is, then I'd assume it's still safe. However...

Flexeril has been studied in pregnant rats, rabbits, and mice and did not cause any problems, even at very high doses.

However, it is important to note that animals do not always respond to medicines in the same way that humans do. Therefore, a pregnancy Category B medicine should only be given to a pregnant woman if the healthcare provider believes that the benefits to the pregnant woman outweigh any possible risks to the unborn child.

http://back-pain.emedtv.com/flexeril/flexeril-and-pregnancy.html
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 5:15 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Call the pharmacy and ask the pharmacist. I was just on Flexeril after a car accident and it did nothing for me, so I don't think it's very strong. I wouldn't take it without talking to the pharmacist first.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I took it for a knee injury during my 3rd trimester... No ill effects on the baby. If your Dr prescribed it to you, knowing you were pregnant I would assume it safe. Especially if prescribed in the early weeks, when meds are most dangerous.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:37 PM on Aug. 6, 2010