Do Locusts bite or sting?

We have a ton of them in our yard.My son just asked me this..and you know..I really didnt have an answer,lol.

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 5:17 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• They are actually one of my fav bugs. lol I use to play with them all the time, and never was bitten. I'm sure they might if they felt threatened or think you might be tasty. Their life cycle is kind of interesting. The larvae burrow into the ground where they live for something like 7 years. Then they come out of the ground climb onto a tree or your house or the like, come out of their shell where they immediately start looking for a mate. That is pretty much the extent of their lives. By the end of summer the locusts are all dead and the new larvae are in the ground.

Crystal750

Answer by Crystal750 at 5:37 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I've never been bitten....I've had one land on my shirt and just buzz. Loud suckers aren't they. Should be getting time to shed the shells soon!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 5:21 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• bite with their mandables

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:18 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• ew, really? Thankyou. He keeps finding them in the grass and picking them up and putting them on tree branches. He won't kill them..because he just won't. He doesnt like to kill bugs,lol. I hope he doesnt get bitten!
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 5:22 PM on Aug. 6, 2010