Question about snakes and pregnancy...

So I know that you aren't supposed to clean out the catbox while pregnant because of whatever toxin is in cat excrament. So how does this work with pet reptiles? I know that snakes in particular can carry salmonela which is why we all wash our hands after handling him. Should I stop handling him while I'm pregnant or should I be ok as long as I'm washing my hands afterward?

mamasitax2

Asked by mamasitax2 at 5:18 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Just wash you hands. It is the same for a cat box-wash and you will be fine. I cleaned cat boxes at home and work while pregnant with both kids and I and my kids are fine. I also had a lizard when pregnant with both-again I washed my hands and all is well.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 7:56 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Hmmm....I'm honestly not sure. My guess is that it's fine as long as you wash your hands, but I'm not positive.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:19 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• i would think that it would be ok as long as you continue washing after. my mom had snakes when she was pregnant with my younger siblings and she was ok. best thing to do is ask your dr.
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 5:26 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Ya I'm going to ask my doc but she won't even see me until I'm 12 weeks so I was wondering for the meantime. Thanks ladies :)
    mamasitax2

Comment by mamasitax2 (original poster) at 5:37 PM on Aug. 6, 2010