Please read and answer...

I'm giving the foster kids in my area a better Christmas and I was just wondering...what are some things your teenage sons have asked to get for Christmas that aren't incredibly expensive? Also do 8 year olds still like hot wheels cars? Thanks!

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 2:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Shopping

• I have nephews, yes the 8 year old still likes hot wheels and the older boys are always asking for expensive stuff like video games and IPods, if you knew if the boy already had an IPod you could get him a music down load pre-paid card, maybe a CD walkman or clothes. It seems to me that boys enjoy new clothes almost as much as a girl does. My family usually does secret Santa for at least 1 kid a year, depending on what we can afford and I always include a warm hat and gloves. If you live in a colder area, I would include those because the kids are always loosing them, or tearing them while sledding. I hope this helped. Have fun!

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 2:29 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I have grandsons from ages 1 - 19. I'm safe with giving balls or cars to the little ones up to age 10. The 17, 18, and 19 yr olds get my time. Since this is about material gifts I'll say that if I were a big gift giver (and I'm not, I like building memories by playing real games with them. yes teens still like simple board games if you play with them.) I would buy a cd player if they didn't have one then I'd give them a blank cd and tell them to burn the music they like. Target has them for under $7.00 right now. Check their clearance section for great bargains or any store for that matter.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:55 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• My 14 year old LOVES food, so whenever my in-laws ask what to get him, that's what I tell them! I make a list of all his favorites (and items that I rarely buy him). Soda pop can be included too. I know that food might sound weird, but seriously, you should see my son -- money does nothing for him...it's food that gets him going!

I agree about the CD's, prepaid music download cards, etc. Also DVDs. Some dvds are so cheap (depending on the movie).

Also, I'd just ask the kids for wish list items. Tell them they may not get everything they ask for, but you are looking for additional ideas (I do this with my whole family)

NovaChk

Answer by NovaChk at 1:24 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Most teens are into more expensive items but a foster child would probably really like some of the stylish clothing the kids like to wear. Maybe cd's. My son is 5 and he is crazy over cars...I can't see him getting out of it by 8 so I am sure an 8yr old would enjoy them too.
    Deb128

Answer by Deb128 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I work in social services. The kids that we serve are in need of good quality clothing. Many of these children are moved from home to home and they end up losing clothes along the way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• i have a baby cousin who is 9 maybe 10 and loves his hot wheels my hubby whos 21 sat playing with him one night and had a blast too so i guess hot wheels can work at any age since most the boys i know play with itwhen their small and then collect when they get older.
    and when i jut cant think of anything else i could probably get i buy clothes we have an outlet mall here an every now and then they have really good sales so its even cheaper.
    Keolalani

Answer by Keolalani at 1:17 PM on Oct. 8, 2008