Does your marriage complete you?

I just had a conversation with a really nice lady who claims that she stays married out of commitment whether she is unhappy or not, that marriage doesn't complete anyone, what do you guys say?

Asked by older at 5:21 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Relationships

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • It almost completes me. My son was the final thing in my life that really made me, and even our marriage, seem totally complete. I also have a really good marriage, though, and I know it's not like that for some people. I'm just really lucky.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:24 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Not really. I am a very unique person. If I were to say that I feel like it would mean that dh and I were a couple that were soo much a like. My dh and I enjoy some of the same things but not all,we are polar different on many things but we love eachother deeply.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 5:28 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Kind of. In a way yes. In another way no. Having a (two) child competed me. Getting married was the candles on the cake.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 5:27 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Not today is doesn't! LOL...I'm bout to stuff him under the couch!
    Some days (not full days..but maybe a couple HOURS out of a day) I might feel like he completes me.
    Other days the only thing that is complete about him is that he's a complete BUTTHEAD! LOL
    OKay..I'll be nice. I'm just aggravated with him at the moment.
    I have to admit, I love the guy. He's a great man.I admire him and I'm proud of him.Without him..I'd still be dating rather than settled down.He's the one I know my heart was looking for.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:28 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My husband completes me in an emotional way where I feel so loved and cared for that I don't feel alone in the world. My daughter completes me in a different way that is also emotional. But I also have certain needs to feel complete as an individual and I get that (when I have the time) through creating art, reading, appreciating our world and embracing this life.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 5:36 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I had to think a minute or two.. lol

I've been married for 25yrs. I love my husband dearly. My marriage means a great deal to me.

However. I can not say my marriage "completes" me. I am a complete and whole person/entity all on my own. My marriage compliments me, it adds something to me and my life. But it does not "complete" me or my life. I am "complete" with or without my marriage, with or without my husband. For me personally, being "complete" comes from within. If something were to happen tomorrow, I would still be "complete". I would miss my husband, I would miss my marriage, (for a period of time..then it would be done with) but I wouldn't be losing part of me in regards to who/what I am, how I view myself as a person, or how I view myself in the realm of my existance/life.

But that's me, I don't think or feel that others should view themselves, their lives or their marriages the same way.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• It truly does. i can't even relate to the person I was before we married in '99

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:23 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My husband and i need each other. We don't have the greatest marriage, but we rely on each other for so much, it's hard to imagine a life without him.

I think there are some people who are just fine on thier own and some marriages that are strickly utilitarian. Whatever floats you boat i guess.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 5:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I think you should be a whole person before you get married you should also have a whole life to bring to the table.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:34 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• No. I don't think I need another person to complete me. I should be able to make myself happy and complete myself. Yes, my husbands compliaments me, but not completes. I think I am too independent for that. I don't want to live my life and not be able to take care of myself and the kids should something happen to him. He knows all of this. It bothers him sometimes, he is the hopeless romantic and I am not. We are opposites in that area!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 5:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2010