What is your and your DH/SO's "secret" to a good relationship?

When my husband and I met, our sense of humors were similar, but the longer we're together, they become more alike. Seriously, he makes me laugh SO hard multiple times a day. Even when I'm upset or mad, he can make me smile or laugh,and vice versa. We're both always cracking up over something! I think it has been our secret to such a happy relationship. It's gotten us through so many hard times. My parents have always been the same way, and they've been happily married for over 30 years.

:)

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 5:34 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• Our sense of humor keeps us going. Because when we get mad at eachother, usually we'll end up making a joke about it and we laugh and it will break the tension then we can talk about things peacefully without arguing.
    Tolerance...
    Patience..
    Trust
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• What's kept us together and going for 25yrs now...

* Good honest, open, safe communication about anything and everything.
    * Working together instead of against one another. No matter what life throws at us.
    * Finding good times and happiness no matter what's going on in the world or in life. Laughing makes life so much better than crying does.
    *Making sure everday that we do our utmost best to show the other how much we love, appreciate, admire, respect, desire, adore..etc.. one another.
    * We each do our utmost best to live up to our mutual expectations and agreements we have made in regards to our relationship.
    * We try to have fun with one another as much and as often as possible.
    * We both do our utmost best to understand one another's needs, and do our best to meet those needs. Part of that is each of us always doing our best to communicate our needs to the other.
    * A GREAT mutually satisfying sex life.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:47 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Good sex and being playful with each other. We don't sweat the small stuff...
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 5:38 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• communication.

We set boundaries, rules for our relationship, and do not cross them- so, mutual regard and respect as well.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:40 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Ours is communication and we also give each other our own space when we just need to get away. Great sex also helps :0)
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 5:44 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Keeping God at the center, consulting Him first and then together. Treating one another with dignity and respect and always remembering the commitments we made to each other almost 46 years ago. There have been some hard times, but those have been the times that yielded the most fruit toward the oneness we both want so much.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:51 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I would have to say that a key thing for us is waiting until we have cooled down before we continue a conversation if we're starting to get upset. I try to choose my timing before I come back to the subject.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 5:53 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• We're similar in so many ways. Humor,morals,parenting style,lifestyle.
    No one believes us,but we never fight. I've even asked him if he's holding back,and he says he's not!
    Don't sweat the small stuff.
    Laugh everyday.
    Cry together,not separate
    No secrets,share it all

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• listening to what the other has to say without getting mad at them. put your and his needs equal, so neither of you feel walked on. show you love each other every day.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 5:48 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Compromising was a key factor and lots of communication, respect and trust.

Answer by older at 5:50 PM on Aug. 6, 2010