DD (2.5) is gonna make me rip my hair out any min!

She is a bull headed little twit! How do you deal with hard headed, creative and fearless child? THis sounds like a lethal combination of personality quirks! She is into everything, climbs on things, say's no to everything...she spends her day in her room (cool down time) time out or getting 'popped' Please tell me with the consistency we have been doing she will out grow this!

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 5:55 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• sorry.. i just was trying to give helpful ways.. and giving options is what they suggest and what has worked for my defiant 20 month old! just persistence is all
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 6:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• honestly- i think she feeds off you, you sound way to stressed, and crabby over it.. 1. im not keen on calling my child a twit 2. "popping" the child hasn't worked thus far.. so doubt it will, you find things that work with her creativity, and you give her options, like do you want to do this or this, do you want that or that, should we do your hair like this or like that, give her options at that age it is all about options and learning to be independent for them, and just keep time outs and give yourself time to cool down as well she feeds off of your emotions like a sponge
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 5:59 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• She can't feed off of me when I don't show any outward reaction. That is what this is for. Options don't work with her is she doesn't want to get dressed options don't matter.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 6:10 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• actually kids can pick up on emotions, even if your not yelling/screaming at them, any stress you may have even if not showed, they can pick up tone of voice, and kids at that age like to be naked lol its the defiant stage, just keep giving her options and take away things she likes/wants like no this if we don't do that, let her pick in reality it is not that hard .. your the adult she is the child, simple enough
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 6:18 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• but im with you my 20 month old everything is MINE or NO i just tell her we wont do this if you don't do that, and i give her options and if she wont answer me then i just enforce it and say we ARE going to do this and iget her dressed and i just let her cry during it, but not much u can do if your doing all YOU think is right just wait it out!
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 6:21 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• ::sigh:: never mind. The point of this post (ie. to vent and maybe get encouragement) has been lost somewhere in translation and I can't delete the post sine then I would loose 5 points. Oh well!
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 6:22 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• It's okay. I actually hadn't read your second post before I posted mine. Thankfully she is in bed now. we can start over tomorrow.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 6:52 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My 2.5 yr old is some kin to your 2.5 yr old. My daughter is very strong willed, stubborn, doesnt listen, says no, dont talk me, rolls her eyes and is quite a handful. She does get time outs, she gets popped, I take things away from her, but the one thing I find thats working the most is rewarding her. My daughter loves chocolate cookies, doughnuts and icecream and I rarely let her have it. So when she is being the excellent child I do reward her with one of those things.
    If Im giving her a choice and she doesnt want anything then she gets nothing. This morning I told her cereal or pancakes. She said doughnut. I cereal or pancakes one more time and she crossed her arms. I went and sat down and ate my pancakes and she eventually came over to eat. I do this with everything water or apple juice, she want soda. No I sit both on the table and walk away. I no longer get into battles with her. Im the adult, I said this and thats it
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 11:15 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I wish I could help. My son is 6 & makes me feel that way lol. I'm just gona start doin tough luv & follow thru w everything I say. He's gona have chores 2 do & less time playing w friends til he learns his place in life & that's not acting like he runs the show.he should stop now that he'll b on a 7 min timeout since he's 7 n a few days. Hope anyway! Good luck!
    mama2evan

Answer by mama2evan at 8:51 AM on Aug. 9, 2010