Care to share?

Times are tough and money is tight. I'm always looking for a way to stretch a buck. Does anyone care to share their best kept secrets? How do you save money? Whether its something you pay more for because its worth it in the long run, or a great product you've found that doesn't cost much. Please share!!!

drowninginboys

Asked by drowninginboys at 2:42 PM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Don't know about products bought.... but I reduced my electric bill by nearly $40 a month just unplugging my microwave, coffee pot and all those other things that keep little lights going for no other reason except to remind you that it's still there. Put all my stuff on surge protectors so that I could just flip a switch and the cable box and all goes off.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 5:16 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Some things I will buy name brand are garbage bags, paper towels, and dish soap. You might pay an extra dollar or 2, but you use far less and they last longer. And I use 99 cent baby oil to remove eye makeup. It lasts forever and works better than any name brand cosmetic.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 2:45 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• We, very simply, don't buy extra. For our age (I am 22 and he is 23), we bring home a decent amount of money (about $3600 bring home each month between the 2 of us) He pays bills, I pay rent and buy groceries, and we put everything else into savings and allow ourselves to go out to dinner once a month.
    (An example of "extra" in my book would be the baby oil to remove makeup. Why? Soap and water works just fine. *shrug*)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:50 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Thrift and consignment stores! I'm lucky to live in an area where there are lots of good ones. I never go to the mall to buy clothes and things. My husband always says, "You know you can go to the mall, right?" And I say, "Why would I do that?? I find awesome things at the thrift store and a lot of them still have the tags on them!!!" Lol.

That... and coupons!
    married2amarine

Answer by married2amarine at 3:51 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Yup thrift store are great,I get alot of good deals on clothes at them,I try to buy extra toilet paper and dishwasher soap when I find it on sale to keep it put back and I wont have to but any for a while.
    geenabelle

Answer by geenabelle at 4:37 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• In my house, I do not use make up, perfume, nail polish,or any of those type of things. We buy products on sale, or we go to the Dollar Store and purchase our items. My SO wants us to buy new clothes, or impulse buy when money is tight, but I try not to have us spending money when it is not needed. We buy clothes at the thrift store for ourselves, buy clothes for the baby new, but get hand me downs too.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 4:50 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• We save ALL of our change and put it in a big piggy band and cash it in when it gets full. You's be amazed at how much money you have if you just throw all that change in the piggy bank. We also DO NOT take cash on hand with us if it isn't needed. We leave it at home so we can't spend it...I f I know I have money I tend to sen it on things. You can also go to Credit Union and get an account and have it locked for like two years so every bot of money you put in it you can't get it out until the date youhave set to unlock it. We but cheap things, not name brand food, clothes..etc...Dollar tree! lol...We also unplu our appliances when we don't use them and our tv because they still suck juice even when their off!! So un plug them. All extra money we have we put it back and we avoid going places where we spend money...

Anonymous

• Oh soap and water hurts when you try to take off your make-up...So I understand where she is coming from...Plus baby oil lasts a long time anyway so it's not a big deal.
    Anonymous

• I have cut down on groceries by adding one potato, one vegetable and one bean meal a week (such as potato pancakes or Spanish omlette, black bean pie or vegetarian chili; pancakes or waffles). I serve less meat and more rice or pasta in the meat dishes (like half a pound vs. a pound in chili or tacoroni serve chicken alfredo or turkey on bread with gravy). I shop at Aldi's and that is my biggest savings. I cut groceries by one third just by doing those things. The max I spend on a meal is five dollars for a family of four but I can do one for two bucks sometimes.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 6:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Okay, I have a TEENIE TINY little tip. It won't save you big money, but it will save you some. Instead of squirting dish soap directly out of the bottle it comes in - put it in a Olive Oil bottle. It comes out slowly and in a very thin stream, so you use less than half the amount you normally would. A bottle of dish soap lasts me about 5 weeks longer than it used to - no joke!
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:56 PM on Oct. 5, 2008