Talking behind back

Would you let your kids play with a child that has talked bad about them behind their back? And you have actual proof that this happened?

mom2twingirl797

Asked by mom2twingirl797 at 6:02 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Its tough to make that kind of decision.
    My son was having issues with a kid that lives in our neighborhood(like the ONLY kid his age that lives around here because were in a country area) and it spilled over into the school. Well, my son insisted on still playing with this kid even though he had come home crying a few times because this kid was making fun of him with another kid. My instinct was to go over there and talk to his parents about it.
    They ended up working it out themselves. I talked to my son about his feelings and different ways he could handle the situation. He seemed cheered up by it and he dealt with it..on his own. And he was proud of himself.I'm proud of him too. They hang out all the time now, the boy is spending the night here tonight, actually. Thier both good kids..they just have to find thier own ways of dealing with problems and people.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:07 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I always let my children work out those kinds of things for themselves. We would talk about it and then they'd do what they needed to do. Children need to learn how to have relationships, how to interact and problem solve. I gave them input, but they made their own choices about friendships.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 6:14 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I think you should let them work it out for themselves. My DD had friends like that. I tried to warn her about it but of course I didn't know what I was talking about so I dropped it. Soon enough my DD figured it out on her own and is no longer friends with that girl. Somethings they just have figure out by themselves, you can guide them but in the end it's up to them.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:17 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Now sure how old your children are? I've found if the parents get involved they usually end up fighting, and if friends ruining a friendship. Then the next thing you know the kids have made up. Now if it's a really bad thing, reputation wise, I'd have a chat with the parents. Possibly a chat with the kids together to see what's up if the kids are friends. But for now I'd leave it to the kids to work it out.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 6:18 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• It depends on your kids and the situation. My son trusts anyone who says they want to be his friend. DH and I noticed a certain neighbor child who consistently lead him into trouble, we put a stop to it. In minor situations though it's often best to let them work out differences themselves. If your kids are safe you may want to step back.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 11:09 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• yup. they are goin to be with people like this their entire life so teach them now how to deal with that. let them know this person is not your friend. this will help them deal with people that are snakes.gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 10:52 PM on Aug. 21, 2010