religious wtf?

My spirituality has been chaotic. Young age I was very spiritual, a lil odd hah, I seen things/felt things etc. that I thought were abnormal or paranormal, as a teen this only heightened, dabbled in wicca/paganism/christianity/buddhism/satanism etc etc...always looking fo rmyself spiritually and what felt right. At this point of my life,higher education ahs made me question a lot that I once believed,i do believe in evolution and the big bang, i find science to be divine in its own right really, but some part of me still has this link to spirituality that i can not peg. i dont know what i believe anymore.i doubt any set religion defines me but now i wonder am i an atheist in denial because i believed for so long? am I some form of buddhism(i do respect much of it)am i lost spiritually. i always believed in god/angels/spirits/deities of a sort etc,but not the bible or most religious books for the matter,now i just do not know

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 6:17 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• to add...experiences i had before, I look back at them now questioning the belief I once put in them and wonder if it really could of been explained? was it biological, was it scientific in some form and not spiritual or paranormal at all. then i cant help but think....is this where faith is truly supposed to come in and i am supposed to maintain my beliefs despite realizing spirituality has no set proof, just circumstantial evidence at most....or am i just having a hard time truly letting all of it go because human beings by nature do not let things of that nature go so easily.
    moki1984

Comment by moki1984 (original poster) at 6:21 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I'm Atheist.... But yet, I still have a cirtian guilt about not believeing in god (i.e. I shouldn't be thinking this way, I might be wrong.....ect) ....... But I continue to do research and think and talk to others............... I've come to the conclusion that this "guilt" comes from the way I was raised. I was raised Xtian (baptist) and brainwashed for all of my childhood until I reached my teens and became Agnostic b/c of questioning... I did my research.... and became Atheist a few years ago. ............... Just a little bit of my thoughts from my background..... I ignore the "guilt"..... some may say its god tugging at my heart, but I just brush it aside b/c it was what I was taught as a child and I know that things learned/tought/experienced as a child tends to stick with you......
    Chaotic_Rayne

Answer by Chaotic_Rayne at 11:33 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I think you should try to have a relationship with GOd, it is a very personal relationship and you cannot mistake it for anything else.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 12:33 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I still don't understand why people think that a God can not exist if science is right. I, personally, believe in a "creator assited" big bang theory. And, yes, it is possible that alot of those experiences you had when you where younger can be explained by biology and/or science. I can't say one way or the other because I wasn't there to experienece them.
    But, let me ask you this, is it truely HURTING you or anyone else if you just let your spirituality sit for a while and explore science and all the "answers" it has to offer? Are you honestly feeling like someone or something is "pushing" you to make these decisions right now? There are no written rules about what you believe. That is the beauty of living in America. You can pretty much pick whatever you believe from all religions and make it your own. Or, you can decide that all religions are a bunch of crap and walk away. It is all up to you!

-Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 1:00 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Just continue reading and praying/meditating. Your the only one that can define your own beliefs for sure and this can take time and it can change over time. That is part of the journey and isn't a problem it's part of the fun of self discovery.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:27 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• You will find your path eventually.

However, may I suggest that while seeking this path, you stop trying to fit yourself into a religion or a religious label. Religion is not the same thing as faith/belief.

Good luck on finding what works for you.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:34 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• i do think science and religion can co-exist. i'm just not sure how exactly i view that now.
    moki1984

Comment by moki1984 (original poster) at 8:34 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• You don't sound like an atheist in denial, you jsut sound like you're having trouble finding what it is you do believe.
    To eliminate the atheist bit simply ask yourself if you believe in a higher power/'god/deity/creator. If the answer is YES you aren't atheist. If the answer is "I don't know, you're looking more at agnostic.
    Ask yourself why you want to believe a certain way as well. That tends to get us closer to understanding why we believe as we do.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:33 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• well hello... i always had a strong spiritual leaning and could not fathom what i read in the bible completely, although i valued it and studied various religions based on it trying to find my true path for a LOOOONG time. i actually spent several years leading a group of adults who knew what they DIDN'T believe (this group included atheists, christians, buddhists, muslims, pagans, etc.) and we worked through exercises that helped them define what it is they DID believe. this was a very enriching and affirming process for us all... i have a group on here that includes some of these exercises and others. feel free to PM me if you are interested. there is much more i can post than what is there - depends on the interest level of the members in the group, including just one member who is on a roll...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:14 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Why not just pray and ask for enlightenment? You don't have to start off with a specific name or anything.. Just pray and ask for help.. If you are sincere, you may be surprised at the results.. But you also need to be open to anything and not disregard or blow off whatever answer you receive..
    Worked for me :)
    Ren_Ren

Answer by Ren_Ren at 10:12 AM on Aug. 8, 2010