Would you find this mom unfit?

I have a friend who is living with his soon-to-be ex-wife because of money issues. He is about to move out and get his own place with his 2 daughters, ages 6 & 8. His wife does not work and has not looked for work.

This is the part that makes me think she could be proven to be unfit. He works M-F 7:30-3:00. She keeps the girls while he is at work. He gets home, cooks dinner, does the laundry. After she eats, she leaves. For the entire night. She gets back home in time to be with the girls so he can go to work. But while she is home she is sleeping. Most of the time he gets home and the girls are on the computer or watching tv while she is in the bedroom asleep.

Would this be a cause for an unfit parent? Or would u think the courts would just disregard it since the kids are not being physically abused in any way.

Walker101

Asked by Walker101 at 6:18 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• She certainly is not the picture of motherhood!

Answer by older at 6:55 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I don't think that would qualify as "unfit" but it does sound like she is sleeping all day and partying all night. Thank god the father is involved and cares for the children. I hope he is awarded custodial parent and her with supervised visitation rights.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:21 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Yeah that doesn't seem to be "proof" either. I for a short period of time worked 3rd shift. I worked it so I could work opposite of my husband and we wouldn't have child care expense. I slept a lot during the day because of it. I don't think anyone would say I was unfit because I was sleeping. There are many couples that do that and it works for them.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 6:24 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• ~ continuation ~

That being said...when they get separate places, I am pretty sure she is not going to be staying out all night, every night! If she does that when she has her time with the kids, then I would say that is being an unfit parent.

Hope it all works out; I feel bad for the kids. =(
    7blessings

Answer by 7blessings at 1:52 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• It doesn't seem proof of an unfit mom. The arrangement works for them.

Answer by Bmat at 6:19 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Actually it doesn't work for them. It works for her but he's going crazy about it lol
    Walker101

Comment by Walker101 (original poster) at 6:20 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I don't know, but I've found that the situation has to be extreme for social services to step in and take them away. I've never known anyone that has been in that situation, but I've read some horror stories on here.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 6:20 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• It will depend on the judge.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:22 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I do not think it makes her unfit however very questionable. Make me wonder why he lets her get by with it.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 6:26 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I should ad I understand she's not working, but is very similar to what we were doing.... Mom gone all night, sleep a lot during the day, etc. You say they are breaking up over the money, not her habit of being out.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 6:26 PM on Aug. 6, 2010