Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MOLD

ME AND MY HUSBAND ARE AND OLDER COUPLE RENTING AN APARTMENT. MY CELEING FELL DOWN IN THE BATHROOM THE SUPER REPAIRED THIS BUT NOWI SEE BLACK SPOTS ON THE CEELING ACCOMPINIED WITH A HORRIFIC ODOR I AM VERY WORRIED ABOUT THIS AND I FEEL LIKE WE ARE AT RISK I FEEL LIKE THE ONLY OPTION IS FOR ME AND MY HUSBAND TO MOVE. IS THERE ANY OTHER ALTERNATIVE. I FEEL EXTREMLY WORRIED ABOUT OUR HEALTH ESPICALLY FOR MY HUSBAND WHO IS ALREADY ILL WITH PARKINSONS.

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Jun. 29, 2008 in Health

Answers (12)
  • First I would reccoment talking to your super about it. Chances are it is mold growing in the ceiling from the water damage in the wood/drywall. They need to do a rehaul. Depending on where you live you might have certain rights and I would imagine the SUper would want to move you to another apt in the complex before he/she gets sued. It is not good to breathe in the spores from the mold. People with upper resp. issues are prone to asthma attacks and worse. My hibby is allergic to penacilin and mold is its growing bed. He would hack and cough all day in your sitation.

    Take pics of the ceiling and document the incident and call your super. If they dilly dally, call the management co for the apt building and spray a mix of water and bleach to help the smell and viewable growth...this wont fix whats in the ceiling but it will hold the smell. Good luck.
    LilHellion

    Answer by LilHellion at 6:49 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

  • we had the same mold behind the fridge,i took some orange spic and span spray to it and it hasn't been back 2 months now.
    sherry729

    Answer by sherry729 at 7:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

  • there is also this stuff you can add to paint (although i think you can just get a container of it) that is called Killz which works wonders...
    its supposed to penetrate the area and kill all the bacteria/mold
    afeather

    Answer by afeather at 7:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

  • If the mold came back after the super fixed it there is still a water problem somewhere. Mold needs a moisture source to grow. And as far as I know ALL states have laws about mold in apartments and rentals. The EPA likes to make landlords fix it to! Your local health department would also take an active intrest in a mold problem.
    vbruno

    Answer by vbruno at 8:49 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

  • Black mold is a very dangerous infestation and needs to be handled immediately especially with children. The EPA is a good agency to call for information. Call your land lord first and explain your concerns. You don't want to get him in trouble if he has every intention of fixing the situation...if he will not get it fixed...you have no other choice than to call to protect your family.
    MommasCooCoo

    Answer by MommasCooCoo at 9:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

  • As a landlord, here's your options.

    Since the super did fix (or so he thought) the problem, it would be wise to contact the super and let him see the problem that exist. Do not allow it to get worse than it already is. Secondly, if the problem is not resolved immediately, and by immediately, that means the same day you complain, then you contact the landlord and let them know of the problem. Take pictures.

    mom2mybabes

    Answer by mom2mybabes at 9:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

  • If the super or landlord won't fix it, call the county health dept.
    ReneeK3

    Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

  • I specialize in air purification. It would be good to get an air purifier that can kill mold. It is very dangerous to breath in the mold spores. Especially for anyone with allergies or other breathing problems. You can go here to check on air purifiers that can handle this problem while you try to work something out with your super. That way you'll be breathing clean air. www.ecoquest.com/rdan If you have any questions contact me I would be happy to help.
    Red54

    Answer by Red54 at 10:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

  • Put it in writing to your super. In the meantime, contact the city and make a complaint. You are entitled to live in a habitable environment by law.
    unga

    Answer by unga at 11:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

  • Mold will make you very very ill and chronically ill if prolonged exposure to it. It can not only cause respiratory problems, but skin rashes and irritations, weaken immunity in general, lead to COPD or asthma.

    Take everyone's advice, contact Super again. Then move on from there. Drywall holds mold like crazy and is good growing material for it. A bathroom...steam from showers...good growing too.

    I read on a Kilz website that it doesn't rectify mold, esp if it's inside the walls. Mold remediation takes care of it.

    Black mold is dangerous to mess with. Some kinds are less dangerous than others but all will affect your immunity, respiration, moods too.
    Triessence

    Answer by Triessence at 11:37 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN