Do you agree there is a double standard in politics?

Sarah Palin is being called Folksy for her shout out and her eye winking during the debate last week. She gave a shout out and made jokes during a very serious presidential debate. Everyone thinks it's cute and funny. But this is not a miss congeniality contest. If Barack Obama would have gave a shout out to his friends back home in Chicago and winked his eye during a national debate he would have been tormented for it. There would have been so many negative things said about him. So tell me, do you agree?

tpluv

Asked by tpluv at 3:02 PM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with you, it would be scary for Obama to do that, we would have to wonder if he was winking at his terrorist type buddies, or at the very least wonder if he was gay.
    I think the difference is, men should act like men and wemen should act like weman. A woman shouldn't have to act like a man should she?
    Anonymous

• I agree that the content of the debate focuses on many serious matters. However, I thought it was refreshing to see a 'real' person on stage, albeit man or woman, who actually spoke like a 'real' person speaks, instead of reading a bunch of non-informative babble off of a tele-prompter. Although Gov Palin did read some information from paper on her podium during the debate, I believe she was a hard hitter and VERY impressive. There are MANY actions and reactions on both the D and R sides that have occured over the course of this (much too long) debate that could be deemed a double standard, but what really matters is that we get to know the candidates and their knowledge on the stuff that really matters.
    madlyinlove412

Answer by madlyinlove412 at 3:12 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I'm not for either canidacy because I don't feel either is the right choice. Yet I do feel that HUMANS should act HUMANLY. Not like programed Robots. I'd rather see someone going through real life senarios...than a ROBOT taking charge of this country!
    I do also feel however there is a time and a place for everything!
    Anonymous

• I certainly do agree. If Obama's daughter was pregnant they would be saying how poor a father he is. If Obama had cheated on his first wife like McCain did they would crucify him.
    Bookgirl51

Answer by Bookgirl51 at 4:56 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• No--Obama just goes to Kenya and campaigns for Odinga--who promised to allow Sharia Law when/if he got elected. Look at their records, not their mannerisms---geeeez. I think a lot of people relate to her because she hasn't been groomed by the political machine. Remember--this lady reformed her party in Alaska and took on the Big Oil Companies---she has substance---and what has Obama done--oh--he was a community organizer who ran for the state senateand won because he had lawyers disqualify ALL the other candidates on technicalities:-)

Anonymous

• I agree with you. I can't wrap my head around people in hysterics about how great Palin is, then turning around and saying Obama doesn't have enough experience. Etc. It's ridiculous.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous 3:50 .... Jesus was a community organizer, too. So was Mother Theresa. So was Martin Luther King, Jr. Are you SURE you want to toss "community organizer" around as a bad thing?
    bluecrayon

Answer by bluecrayon at 8:05 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• To Bluecrayon, Al Capone and Charles Manson are also great examples of community organizers
    Anonymous

• definitely, the double standard is race. But this is America. I don't think the double standard is just in politics. I think it is just America. If Obama had a pregnant teenage daughter, that would be talked about in every home in AMerica. People would say he did a poor job raising his children. But look at Palin. They congratulate her family for being Pro-life! For some reason in America, being white somehow makes things Right.
    momof2boys423

Answer by momof2boys423 at 10:27 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• OMG---I can't believe ANYONE would fall for that stupid line of Jesus being a community organizer. Show me in the bible where he was????? Please........ And Mother Teresa? She was about helping the poor where she found them--not about "organizing" resistance to the reigning power. First you should go figure out what exactly Obama did as a CO:-) That is the stupidest argument I have heard yet---it really shows the lack of intelligence on the Dems side to even equate the two. And besides--why are they bringing the dreaded "religion" into the secular realm!!!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Oct. 6, 2008